Controlling your site's loading flow...

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Controlling your site's loading flow...

Postby aj1pso » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:12 pm

So this is a complicated issue. I'd like to know how to control my site's loading flow. I want certain things (images, content, ads, etc) to load before others do.

Is there a way to do this within the realm of HTML and PHP? Maybe perhaps some simple javascript I can cut and paste and easily modify? If its easy enough just pointing me to an example would do lots of good.

Also, is there a way to force the caching of certain parts of a site on the browser? (As long as the user's configuration permits) It would be a great bandwidth saving tool as many parts of a site are completely static for months or even years like border images and logos.

Any professionals here care to help out an amateur? Like I said I only know HTML and PHP but if its easy enough I might figure out small scripts in other languages.

Thanks, I'm sure other people will find the answer helpful too :)
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby netaces2k » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:37 am

You have some options, of sorts.

When you want a given website, to have a smoothness to it, besides loading speed, you must consider somethings.

1) Size of initial web page itself
2) SIze and amount of JavaScript(s)
3) Size of Embedded objects (Flash, etc)
4) Amount of Pictures and their sizes X by Y
5) The bandwidth and user(s) supported by the web server
6) The speed of the visiting user

Now, if you take these all together, they add up to alot. Primarily, what is going on when the page is downloaded and rendered by the visitors browser.

One of the best ways to reduce the load expectancy time of a web page is to minimize it's size, as much as you can.

- Make cerain that your images are optimized for the internet and are in a common and expected format. I.E. .GIF, .JPG, .MNG, .PNG and not .BMP, .TIF, .TGA, .PCX, etc.
- Make sure the images are between 16bit and 32bit and are not 8bit.
- Keep them smaller the 450x450. If needed a user can click on it to see the big one.
- Reduce the number of and size of the photos on the page.
- Reduce the amount of JavaScript in the page.
- Reduce the page content load, if it's extensively large, break it up into 3 or 4 pages.
- And don't go ape on the Tables and Divisions. As these strain the browsers ability to render quickly. The browser has to then calculate and literally 'Map' the graphics.
- Reduce the font size (if it's large) or don't use so many font types.
- Reduce the number of URL's on the page.
- Don't use a background image.

All of these impact the load and render time dramatically.

If you can, have your visitors pull certain files from a mirror site, to reduce the bandwidth the primary server is taking.
netaces2k

Postby kltsin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:19 pm

What loads first is almost always up to the user.

The prior post is a user friendly one and highly recommended to follow.
Great webpages have little BS or flare.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Programming