Reprogram DOS to Windows based language.

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Reprogram DOS to Windows based language.

Postby jsheinz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:17 pm

I started a new job where they have some old DOS programs they are still using. Now that technology is overtaking the software I am trying to come up with some solutions.

What I would like to do is figure out how to transpose a DOS based program into a windows based program that will do the same thing.

#1. Is there and easy way to do this? I am pretty sure after some research that the answer to my question will be NO, but I am hoping for some assistance regardless.

#2. Is there a way to view the DOS code and code new software that will do the same thing?

#3. Anyone know of any reasonably priced programmers that can do this sort of thing?

Thanks for the anticipated help.
jsheinz
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ~Rob » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:40 pm

Well this is tough! To start with the program is run in dos so the programming code could be anything from basic to C.

What kind of system is it? The easiest solution would be to get access or something similar and make a new system from scratch. The question is whether or not it's worth it. The motto goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" plus 75% of systems fail so you have to think whether it's worth the risk.

If you do go ahead, don't forget the current data, all of your client details and stock etc have to be transfered and I can almst guarantee there isn't a way to export it from your current system t the new one
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby jsheinz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:57 pm

It is currently running on an old pentium 2 or 3 system. I would really like to get something that would run on the dual xeon on which we are running more current software. The old guard machines are slowly but surely heading out to pasture.

The program is basically a list sorting application that deduplicates exact matches between 2 seperate txt or xls or database files. There are newer programs that deduplicate within individual files, but cannot compare 2 files.
It is really a basic little program, but is the only one we know of that does it.

I am not a programmer and have no way of knowing how it was originally programmed. Unless someone tells me how...I basically have CMD at my disposal :)
jsheinz
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby olly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:36 am

Visual Studio .NET either with VB or C# will be the easiest way IMO and will bring the programs right up to date.

You will probably need to view the source code, figure out whats going on and reprogram it in Visual Studio.

If you dont have the source code, figure out what functions it performs and code it from scratch.

If you are not a programmer then it will probably be less hassle for you to hire one.
Last edited by olly on Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby olly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:47 am

jsheinz wrote:It is currently running on an old pentium 2 or 3 system. I would really like to get something that would run on the dual xeon on which we are running more current software. The old guard machines are slowly but surely heading out to pasture.

If it runs on your old machine it will run on your new one as well. And faster :)
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby colinJohn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:09 am

I'm sure you can run DOS programmes from windows - here's the help blurb for Windows XP

MS-DOS overviewMS-DOS, the acronym for Microsoft Disk Operating System, is an operating system with a command-line interface used on personal computers. As with other operating systems such as OS/2, it translates keyboard input by the user into operations the computer can perform, it also oversees operations such as disk input and output, video support, keyboard control, and many internal functions related to program execution and file maintenance.

You type MS-DOS commands using a command prompt window. To end your MS-DOS session, type exit in the command prompt window at the blinking cursor.

The MS-DOS mode is a shell in which the MS-DOS environment is emulated in 32-bit systems, such as Windows. MS-DOS-based programs can run with Windows and might create a program information file (PIF) which appears as a shortcut on your desktop.

Open the Command Prompt window.
Notes

To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
Creating a program information file (PIF) for an MS-DOS-based program creates a shortcut to the program executable. All the settings saved in the PIF file are contained in the shortcut.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby jsheinz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:49 am

olly wrote:If it runs on your old machine it will run on your new one as well. And faster :)

Unfortunately the new OS's and Processors typically run too fast and basically overrun the DOS program.

I am just trying to find a way around it all.

Colin: The "DOS" in XP is not real DOS. It is a shell. I can.t even get it to run on a WIN2k box.
jsheinz
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jsheinz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:53 am

olly wrote:If you are not a programmer then it will probably be less hassle for you to hire one.

Who, what, where, how much?

Anyone have any recommendations for who might be good with this sort of thing?
jsheinz
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby olly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:53 am

jsheinz wrote:
olly wrote:If you are not a programmer then it will probably be less hassle for you to hire one.

Who, what, where, how much?

Anyone have any recommendations for who might be good with this sort of thing?

I'll do it for you for a fair price, what you're asking sounds quite doable. However I dont have time until January and I live abroad (not that it makes too much difference) If you want it to run on windows I'd probably use VB or C#

PM me if you're interested and I'll email you my CV
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Programming