W3C

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

W3C

Postby ~Rob » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:13 pm

Do we really need them? I've been working on a very simple homepage for an hour trying to get it W3C compliant (I got it eventually) and even if it doesn't comply it still works in my browsers and looks the same. For example, www.pcworld.co.uk has 249 errors 8O :lol:

I was worried over 3!!!

anyways, I know it's best as it make sures your site will work with any html browser (does it?) but is it worth the effort?

I will still use W3C to validate all my pages because it's like wearing clothes on a warm summers day, it's the right thing to do
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby phoenixn » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:19 pm

I sometimes use W3C validation as a sanity check. Generally I ignore the "errors" once I understand what they are about. Best check is to run IE and FireFox, then possibly Opera and perhaps some of the older Netscape versions if you care. There is little point in being too anal about W3C issues.
phoenixn
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:53 pm

I leave out the eye-candy and that usually saves me from having visitors complaining about errors :twisted:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby olly » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:19 am

Ours is not to reason why :lol:
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Falklian » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:16 am

All web browsers are not fully standards compliant and on websites that are not valid HTML/XHTML etc, they work in "quirks" mode. Basically, the browser understands what it is trying to accomplish and renders the page according to what it thinks it was envisioned to look like. There are a lot of hacks out there to get IE/Opera/Firefox etc to render something correctly, but will not validate. If proper code was written and browsers were more standards compliant, we wouldn't have this problem of it not looking right in certain browsers. I've spent hours hacking up pages that render fine in Opera and Firefox, completely standards compliant (every bit validated perfectly) but IE would not render it correctly. It sucks, I hate doing it, but I will sit there and get it to look perfect in each browser I test and still validate. That's just me though :wink:

If it works for you and others, then just leave it be. This is kind of a touchy subject for me and it peeves me off to no end when I have to open up IE to view a site because it's not valid code and won't render correctly. I've always tried my best to make sure others can view my (now dead) website the way it was meant to be and not have it screwed up because they're using an out of date browser or a POS like IE. And for those who stand behind they're precious IE, become a webdesigner and you will see what a hacked up pile of junk it actually is.
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Programming