my web site :)

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

my web site :)

Postby windman » Thu May 30, 2002 9:50 am

ok i've just finished making a web site for the space i have over at tripod.com

just wonder what you think of it a first etempt

oh mobocop hope you like the links page ;)

please be gental or i might have to cry ;) lol
The whole world is a game and we are but players within it

but what a game :D
windman
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu May 30, 2002 10:00 am

Not bad for a first attempt windman. 8)
Keep going.

Try coding in Notepad. :P
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Thu May 30, 2002 10:24 am

Dude, it's looking good! Nice color scheme and layout. What about THX, though? I'd love to see some info on that for the home. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu May 30, 2002 10:54 am

Nice site windman! I just glanced at it since I am at work, but I will be checking it out later.

Does this mean I can bug you with home theater questions? Me and the girlfriend just bought a 48" widescreen hdtv, and I still have an ancient Sony Dolby Pro Logic receiver with 4 speakers... Time to upgrade...
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby useless comment » Thu May 30, 2002 11:29 am

nice work windman, couple of tips though:

even though you may have hi res display settings and probably most of the people here do as well(except for me, I'm poor) the majority of users have setting at or below 800x600. it seems that people have less of a problem and readily accept a site in which they have to scroll up and down, but have almost no tolerance when having to scroll left or right(I don't know why)

some of your graphics seem overly large in scale and quite jaggy but nice idea for a layout.

I have nothing to say about the content because that is really none of my business(but I have to say it's great to see a site on this subject 8) . kudos to you).

Overall, compared to some sites that have been designed by so called 'mature' designers, it's a good job. For a first try it's great. Keep it up. I give it two thumbs up(I would give it three thumbs but I can't seem to find the third one).
Last edited by useless comment on Thu May 30, 2002 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Thu May 30, 2002 11:30 am

Looks great. Thanks for the link.

ps. I would change Link's to Links

Did you make the interface? What sofware did you use and what inspired the design?
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby windman » Thu May 30, 2002 3:39 pm

MoboCop wrote:Looks great. Thanks for the link.

ps. I would change Link's to Links

Did you make the interface? What sofware did you use and what inspired the design?

everything exept for the dts and dolby symbols i made using

paint shop pro 7.2

then setup the page in

dreamweaver 4

how do you change the size of the page though ??? sorry new to this so not not totaly sure

as for the coding in note pad

lol do know html at all yet ;)

THX humm forgot that one will add it in as soon as i can ok :)
The whole world is a game and we are but players within it

but what a game :D
windman
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby useless comment » Thu May 30, 2002 6:40 pm

how do you change the size of the page though

The problem is all the tables using absolute values. Most of the main tables specify a width of over 900. I've never used any html editors so I don't know if they can be set up to use percentages or not but when you use percentages it can scale the page to fit the browser window.

Do a search on google or your favorite search engine for html tutorials and look for something on basic page layout information/tips/strategies. That should give you an idea about how things can change thier appearance from one machine to the next and maybe they'll explain some basic techniques on how to make everyone see exactly what you intended them to see.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Fri May 31, 2002 8:58 am

Change your tables from 900 or whatever they are to either 770 (that is a fixed width which is designed for 800 x 600.

Or you can change the width to 100% which will size to fit any screen.

Now the only other issues are to make sure your images are not wider than you want the page to be. For example make sure that your sidebar graphics and the header graphic side by side are not more than 770 pixels.

Hope this helps.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Toby B. » Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:31 am

Since there is a website review going on here. Would it be a big deal to ask what ya think of my site. It is still being worked on. I am undergoing a name change that has not fully happened yet......I have a link to this forums page.

I would like to find out how to get a banner ad style link to add to my site to replace the text link. I will gladly appreciate any and all suggestions, critisism, etc.

**NOTE***
This site is built on a "sitebuilder" - I dont have the right setup for use of Front Page 2002 yet, but working on it. I currently have very minimal control on format of the site.

Thanks
Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Programming