Target stores' pharmicists allowed to withold abortion pill

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should a pharmacist (not a public hospital) have the right to refuse service based on their beliefs?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes : 17

Postby krung krung » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:45 pm

trexntx wrote:So basically they can play God.

Say for instance they are the only pharmacy in a small town and a raped girl's only opportunity to terminate a possible pregnancy is if she takes this pill. Denying her the pill is making a decision only she has the right to make. Selling her the pill isn't the same thing as forcing it down her throat. She has to make the conscious decision to take it.

:roll:

not for her situation i guess... the doctor himself would give her the pill no question about it... imo, she doesnt have to go to a pharmacy to beg for one.

i know its a bit unfair but its the pharmacists decision... afterall i think this is not generally implemented or being there s.o.p so there are other pharmacy where someone could buy thre medicines..
LIVE STRONG!
krung krung
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby kokalo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:13 am

My 2c worth

Here in NZ "Management reserves the right to refuse service", regardless of industry (hospitality/retail/automotive....). I'm not certain, but I believe that there is something similar in the States too.
In a way, forcing the pharmacist to issue a drug (especially if NOT a prescription) he/she doesn't feel comfortable with issuing would amount to workplace discrimination - they are forced to go against their oath, which includes their own interpretation of wellbeing, morals/ethics etc. Would anyone here force a pro-life doctor to perform an abortion (possibly with a gun to his temple)?
If there is another supplier, or another pharmacist at the same store, the person in question should just see them, instead of the pharmacist who refused to supply the MAP. It is a free world, after all.
The pharmacist refusing should have a reason (better than just "she's a c***tease, whatever she got she deserves), but if it is genuine....
And no, they shouldn't have to explain themselves to the customer, but there should be a way for the customer to air their concerns with the company management.
This topic touches on a very sensitive one (abortion), but that is not an issue here. That issue in this case is being decided by the pharmacist on the spot. And I believe they should have the right to make that decision - not because I believe abortion is wrong in most cases, but because they do (as it seems to be the case).
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Roach412 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:28 am

so then every pharmacy must have at least 2 pharmacists present. one that believes in giving out certain perscriptions that the other won't. :roll:

if you go to a hospital and ask a doctor that doesn't believe in abortions to provide one, you're stupid. they probably won't even know how to do it in the first place. since they don't believe in it, they won't be trained in it. the ones that are capable of doing such a procedure are the ones that are willing to do it.

selling perscription drugs (mind you this is still a RETAIL position, even with their "training") to the public, which have been ordered by a medical professional who is far more trained and qualified to give medicine than a retail pharmacist should be considered an obligation in my book. they're basically taking on the role of the doctor...without their training and credentials. they have no idea what the situation is for the individual who is receiving the perscription. if they want to play doctor, and not give out perscriptions then they should be held responsible for whatever happens to that individual. including malpractice. or, medical centers should just provide anonymous online retailing capabilities to everyone. have a computer provide the perscriptions since they are not biased. take the whole human equation out, since that's what always the problem. :wink:

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby trexntx » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:10 am

If a pharmacy stocks the item then they should dispense it. Simple as that.

If they don't want to dispense a particular drug, simply don't stock it and make it policy that is public knowledge.
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Ghen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:21 pm

About 5 minutes from my house is a busy intersection with 3 drug stores on 3 corners of the street (the fourth is a bagel shop if you cared) Before I get to that intersection though I pass 1 more.. And 2 blocks down from my house in the opposite direction is 2 more.

My point is, not every drug store is stupid enough to do this.. Most will go the straight profit route and let the FDA decide. Until the FDA gets godly I'm cool as a cucumber.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Robyn » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:22 am

trexntx wrote:Say for instance they are the only pharmacy in a small town and a raped girl's only opportunity to terminate a possible pregnancy is if she takes this pill. Denying her the pill is making a decision only she has the right to make. Selling her the pill isn't the same thing as forcing it down her throat. She has to make the conscious decision to take it.
:roll:

No, the pharmacists are only allowed to refuse service of the drug if there is another pharmacy nearby that will provide it. They are not denying the girl the drug, just refusing to serve it personally.

The pharmacists that go to school to learn to dispense the drugs go to the same school as the pharmacists that learn to make the drugs, so I think it's unfortunate that their training is taken for granted.

What about other controversial drugs? Remember Pfen-pfen? What if a drug has potentially dangerous actions and the pharmacist can't stomach to dispense it knowing horrible things could happen? Should we lose a round of possibly talented pharmacists every time a controversial drug pops up?
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Roach412 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:03 am

Robyn wrote:No, the pharmacists are only allowed to refuse service of the drug if there is another pharmacy nearby that will provide it. They are not denying the girl the drug, just refusing to serve it personally.

i'll believe that the pharmacists are required to dispense if there aren't any others that will, when it happens to me. there are way way too many small towns that only have 1 pharmacy (or even that) to honestly believe people will abide by that.
Robyn wrote:The pharmacists that go to school to learn to dispense the drugs go to the same school as the pharmacists that learn to make the drugs, so I think it's unfortunate that their training is taken for granted.

just because they might know how the drug was made, doesn't make them a doctor in the use of medication for treatment. they're still just a simple scientist/chemist. i have a friend that's a chemical engineer...he could easily make medicine/drugs, that doesn't give him the right/ability to pass medical judgement on the use of that drug.
Robyn wrote:What about other controversial drugs? Remember Pfen-pfen? What if a drug has potentially dangerous actions and the pharmacist can't stomach to dispense it knowing horrible things could happen? Should we lose a round of possibly talented pharmacists every time a controversial drug pops up?

i like to believe that this is what's called freedom in america. we are free, as consumers, to purchase whatever we wish. i can go to the store and buy a bottle of sleeping pills, and take all of them. would that be good for me? probably not. i could buy a knife at a store, and stab myself...would that be good? probably not. we're allowed to make informed, or misinformed, or uninformed decisions here by our own free-will. the day a pharmacist decides what's good for me, based on their beliefs, is probably the day i get arrested. not in the least is the fact that a medical professional made the recomendation for me, as a patient, to take said perscription medication in order for me to be more healthy and/or live my life better. there's just no reason, or right, for that person to make that kind of decision or judgement on me or anyone else for that matter. :evil:

-Roach
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby krung krung » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:21 pm

Roach412 wrote: the day a pharmacist decides what's good for me, based on their beliefs, is probably the day i get arrested. not in the least is the fact that a medical professional made the recomendation for me, as a patient, to take said perscription medication in order for me to be more healthy and/or live my life better. there's just no reason, or right, for that person to make that kind of decision or judgement on me or anyone else for that matter. :evil:

-Roach

right. but we are talking about abortion pill that can cause illness to the person that will take it, not to mention the fetus inside the womb...
LIVE STRONG!
krung krung
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Roach412 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:20 am

krung krung wrote:right. but we are talking about abortion pill that can cause illness to the person that will take it, not to mention the fetus inside the womb...

kind of a weak argument, any medication can cause illness...not to mention that the particular pill in question is basically "supposed" to do that. :roll:

taking too many vitamins can cause illness. drinking too much water can cause illness. why don't we just have other people breathe, eat, walk, do our jobs, live our lives, and tell us how we feel about it? that'll fix the whole problem of other people's beliefs being imposed on those of us that don't want it. the individual will just have no free will, or they'll just be told that they "aren't allowed" because it contradicts what the person in front of us believes.

-Roach
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Copper » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:46 am

my 2 cents.

noone has the right to push there beliefs on others and know one has the right to judge others

you go to these poeple for help, they should help

i wonder what this guy would say if a doctor or fireman or police officer refused him help , because they disagreed with his beliefs

i believe in abortions, you dont. your house is on fire let it burn, your child inside your burning house , well its not your day then is it
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War