Target stores' pharmicists allowed to withold abortion pill

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should a pharmacist (not a public hospital) have the right to refuse service based on their beliefs?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes : 17

Postby Tolemac » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 pm

Sabrewings wrote:If they want to empower their employees with that discretion, then so be it.
But where does it end? "I don't like the way he looks/dresses/has his hair, so I'll not be selling him anything." That may sound extreme at this point, but it's not that far off if you give them the "discretion" to make those kinds of decisions.
Indeed, companies have the right to refuse service to anyone, however, again I ask, how far do you take this? Religious beliefs have zero bearing on what can be sold, or services performed from a company that is not a religious organization or church. If Target wants to come out and say that they are a religious organization, and that's why they have this policy, then that's a different story. I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Despite the fact that I prefer to shop at Target over and above Walmart and Kmart and other such stores, if this is the way they treat their customers, I will be taking my business elsewhere, and informing all of my friends to do the same. I've been doing Customer Service related jobs since 1977. Believe me, this is not the way to do business.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Tolemac wrote:Believe me, this is not the way to do business.

I can agree, but everyone rants like they are bound by some law or something to sell something to everyone who asks for it. If they want to pull a stupid move like this, they're pefectly welcome to. We can say its stupid, go elsewhere, but that's it.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby trexntx » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:42 pm

Sabrewings wrote:
Tolemac wrote:Believe me, this is not the way to do business.

I can agree, but everyone rants like they are bound by some law or something to sell something to everyone who asks for it. If they want to pull a stupid move like this, they're pefectly welcome to. We can say its stupid, go elsewhere, but that's it.

If they are a pharmacy and they have the pill in stock and somebody comes in with a valid prescription for it, then they should dispense it without hesitation. They are not doctors, they are pharmacists. They have no idea what the circumstances surrounding the patient are and they have no right to pass judgement by refusing to fulfill their obligation.
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:53 pm

trexntx wrote:They have no idea what the circumstances surrounding the patient are and they have no right to pass judgement by refusing to fulfill their obligation.

True, but again I ask, what obligation? Did they take an oath?
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby trexntx » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:55 pm

Sabrewings wrote:
trexntx wrote:They have no idea what the circumstances surrounding the patient are and they have no right to pass judgement by refusing to fulfill their obligation.

True, but again I ask, what obligation? Did they take an oath?

Simply to serve the customer. Nothing more. No oath necessary.

If you go into a McDonald's, they should not be able to refuse to sell you a Big Mac unless you are a problem.
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tolemac » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:56 pm

And there's the key word: Obligation. I never said it was against any law, or that a law was being superceded; however, their obligation as pharmacists is to fill legitimate prescriptions. As trex so rightfully pointed out, they are not doctors and have zero idea as to why the prescription is required. What if some pharmacist's religious beliefs say that any pain killer, or the variety of psychiatric drugs is immoral? Do they get to stop dispensing them as well? As Professor Don Uden of the University’s College of Pharmacy rightfully stated in the article, it is a slippery slope.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:59 pm

Sabrewings wrote:True, but again I ask, what obligation? Did they take an oath?
In point of fact, they do take an oath:

Oath of a Pharmacist
At this time, I vow to devote my professional life to the service of all humankind through the profession of pharmacy.

I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of human suffering my primary concerns.

I will apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal drug therapy outcomes for the patients I serve.

I will keep abreast of developments and maintain professional competency in my profession of pharmacy.

I will maintain the highest principles of moral, ethical, and legal conduct.

I will embrace and advocate change in the profession of pharmacy that improves patient care.

I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:01 pm

trexntx wrote:If you go into a McDonald's, they should not be able to refuse to sell you a Big Mac unless you are a problem.

Again, true, but it doesn't mean they can't. If they see an obese customer, I believe they are entitled not to serve that person. I'm sure ever company reserves the right (in the fine print) to not serve a customer for one reason or another.

At my work, I can refuse any customer service just because I don't like them or I feel they're suspicious. Says it in plain words on my full job description and on all the paperwork a customer fills out.

I do see that the pharmacy situation is a bit different, but same basic principles apply (that they're not bound by anything tangible to serve customers).
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby trexntx » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:04 pm

If you refuse to serve a customer, you better be ready to stand by your reason and have the backing of your employer. If somebody were to refuse to serve a person in a restaurant simply because they were obese they better be willing to be sued. That is discrimination.
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:07 pm

Oath of a Pharmacist
At this time, I vow to devote my professional life to the service of all humankind through the profession of pharmacy.

I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of human suffering my primary concerns.

I will apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal drug therapy outcomes for the patients I serve.

I will keep abreast of developments and maintain professional competency in my profession of pharmacy.

I will maintain the highest principles of moral, ethical, and legal conduct.

I will embrace and advocate change in the profession of pharmacy that improves patient care.

I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.

The bold areas are left up to the person who takes the oath, so then by that oath they are required to uphold what they feel is right. It doesn't say "what the general consensus of the nation feels is right". So, if they refuse service because (in their mind that abortion is murder) they feel someone might use it to induce abortion, then they are following their oath.

So, I guess someone would suggest that they screen pharmacists, but then we get into political employment issues.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War