Asus A8n Premium help

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus A8n Premium help

Postby regchamp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:44 pm

I have $2200 and tomorrow I will go to tigerdirect store and buy all the components for my new rig, I was wondering if this will be compatable, because I have heard the A8N premium is a tough motherboard for compatability. NOTE: I am not going to overclock at all, I just want to run stock high quality parts. Will this work??

CPU - AMD X2 4800+
GPU - BFG 7800 GTX OC
PSU - Ultra X-connect 500w
Ram - OCZ Titanium dual channell 2048 ddr400 pc3200
- do I have to run dual channell - can I run just 1 1024 stick right now?? or do I have to have two?
HDD - Western digital 160 gig IDE (soon to be raptor 74gig)
DVD - Plextor 716SA
Watercooled - Thermaltake big water

Any suggestions? Again, since this is a dual core 4800 I don't see the need to overclock, I want stability and very high quality parts. Thank you for the input in advance, I appreciate it!!
regchamp
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Asus A8n Premium help

Postby joshvee » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:57 pm

regchamp wrote:I have $2200 and tomorrow I will go to tigerdirect store and buy all the components for my new rig, I was wondering if this will be compatable, because I have heard the A8N premium is a tough motherboard for compatability. NOTE: I am not going to overclock at all, I just want to run stock high quality parts. Will this work??

CPU - AMD X2 4800+
GPU - BFG 7800 GTX OC
PSU - Ultra X-connect 500w
Ram - OCZ Titanium dual channell 2048 ddr400 pc3200
- do I have to run dual channell - can I run just 1 1024 stick right now?? or do I have to have two?
HDD - Western digital 160 gig IDE (soon to be raptor 74gig)
DVD - Plextor 716SA
Watercooled - Thermaltake big water

Any suggestions? Again, since this is a dual core 4800 I don't see the need to overclock, I want stability and very high quality parts. Thank you for the input in advance, I appreciate it!!

Everything is fine except for the power supply. If you want the highest quality parts, dump the X-connect and go for an OCZ or an Antec PSU. Ultra X-connect, although incredibly pretty have some issues with their connectors and the Ultra X-connects motherboard connector is only 20 pin and doesn't have sepperate power for SLI. The A8n Premium motherboard is 24 pin.

Thats gonna be one awsome computer.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby regchamp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:22 pm

I was actually using the X-connect on my P4 3.4 ghz LGA 775 processor and board, -- I bought a cord separatly in order to hook it up to the 24 pin, so I should have it, right?? And I beleive I have the SLI connector as well?
regchamp
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby DAVE1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:23 pm

also you might want to save your money and not buy a raptor its not worth the money some of the newer drives that hold more are almost as fast and alot cheaper
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby regchamp » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:29 pm

I have heard some horror stories about using SATA drives - such as the plextor 716SA - will this be a problem? Also, I have built computers before (3.4 ghz P4, Intel 915pbl board, etc) but is there anything I need to keep in mind when booting and building this PC? Does this motherboard need special settings in the BIOS? or can I just use the stock BIOS - Again, I do not want to overclock, I want stability w/ some high quality parts. Thank you for your patience with my noob questions!
regchamp
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:42 am

A 1 Gb RAM module would give very good results, but there would be a slight bandwidth improvement if going the dual-channel mode, if your mobo accepts it. You may experience up to 10% increase in bandwidth speed, over a single module. Unless you have need for greater than 1 Gb of memory, stick with the "optimized" limit of 1 Gb. Two 512 Mb modules would fulfill the dual-channel mode, and you will still have 1 Gb total. The memory bus is addressed separately for each module, in dual-channel.
Wit dual-channel setup, ensure the memory you obtain is "matched" for best performance.
Reference.
Suggestions.
Tech Speak.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General