4 pin to 3 pin fan connectors

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby profofpcs » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:08 pm

they should power the fans, but no rpm monitoring. you might be able to add a wire from some extra ones.

depression is just anger without the enthusiasm
anger is just danger without the "d"
profofpcs
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:17 pm

Like cacrusn said, you won't be able to monitor the RPMs of the fans. It can be done, and if you want to I'll let you know what you'll need (assuming the fans have the red wire).
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby tedybear » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 pm

The extra un-used wire coming from the fan will be the "Tach Line" or Signal line. You can run that to any of the 3 pin connectors on the motherboard-using ONLY! the signal/tach input pin.

Problems: Many motherboards do not have fan speed monitoring on all of the headers. Normally you'll get an RPM reading on the CPUHSF, NB1 (northbridge), and usually one...maybe two (manual will state this info) of the CHAFAN headers. The manual will state which connector has that ability.

2nd problem. One fan per signal input. As in...you can't link 2+ of the signal wires together and run them to an input. The reading the motherboard will get? Gibberish....

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm

Gem wrote:I found this connector but it's still wrong, the 3 pin on the left needs to be another female, not a male.... dumb wires.... :x

I think I am starting to go off the deep end, Now I want to take my case, rip all the wires out and start all over. I think I may be stalking my computer.. 8O

Why is it wrong? The fan plugs into the socket on the left, the big one connects to the PSU, and the one on the right plugs on to a header on the mobo to provide RPM monitoring.

It's fine.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:22 pm

Gem wrote:not for my controller, they are all 3 pins, the 12 cm fans are all 4 pins.

Ah, if the fans are 4-pin, unless they already are set up for it, you won't be able to do the RPM bit.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General