Trying to run a phpBB forum

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Trying to run a phpBB forum

Postby ~Rob » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:30 pm

HOW!!!!

I've downloaded the latest version from phpBB.com, but what now, all the pages open in dreamweaver blank, do I need to add html to the page, or do I need to learn php (hope not!)

so basically, I need a hand to get started!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:40 pm

ok, I've found a very helpful flash tutorial on the phpBB forum, but I hae two problems...

1) I'm using my dad's free webspace to test this out and it won't let me chmod the config file to 666

2) When I go to install I get script instead of a GUI, so I think the hosting doesn't support databases, or do I need to install that myself?

EDIT: NTL don't support nothing but html on their free webspace, looks like I'll be buying a nice bit of hosting to go with my domain. :roll:
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Cell 2Dee » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:01 am

ill help you set one up, pm me
Cell 2Dee
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Toby B. » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:33 am

Sorry for the late reply. For setting up phpBB you need a database as well as a host that allows php. There are a few free webhosts that allow this in small quantities and with forced advertising.... Or you could simply signup for one of those free phpBB forums (yeah they kinda suck, but its free.)... The biggest problem I found with free phpBB boards/hosts is that you are restricted from restoring your database....
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby td25x » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:45 am

One thing you might want to consider when choosing a hosting service, find out if their servers are running Windows or 'nix.
I have found it easier/better support for 'nix based platforms...but that just be me...
td25x
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ~Rob » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:55 am

well I have it all sorted now. TBH, I kinda forgot about this thread :oops:

www.hillbilly-clan.co.uk/forums (sorry about the site itself, still trying to find time!)

The hosting came with a one click instalation thing and it's very good!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Programming