Boards for affordable student system

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby undying fenix » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:32 am

The Gigabyte Ga7-VEML motherboard and amd athlon 1 gigahertz processor is on sale at TCWO.com for $76. I dont have that particular motherboard but i do own a Gigabyte GA7VRXP, and its great. Here is the link http://www.tcwo.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st ... rodid=2558

I just got this exact Gigabyte motherboard. It is really nice! I got mine for $85 at www.computerpartsusa.com so $76 is good. I cant give you the exact address because it doesnt show it. Good luck!
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Incognito » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:03 pm

I posted because its a combo deal, the board and a 1000 megahertz processor for $76. That is a cheap way to build a pc for family members and friends. I have recently built my first system, and i am planning on building more. It is turning into a fun hobby. I can't believe i ran that k-6 300 mhz for 3 years, the athlon xp 1700puts it to shame. The old computer was the lpx style, i couldn't disable the onboard rage 3D chip to add a pci video card (it had a riser card and very limited bios options) so I decided to build a new system. I'm glad i found this forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people in here.
Incognito
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hockeyfan6781 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:34 am

I found sites that offer both a shuttle AK32L mobo and an athlon xp 1600+ in a combo for just $100 or close to a hundred, now thats a budget combo

goto pricewatch.com, then hit mobo combos, then hit on the xp1600+.. theres 3 different motherboards that are comboed with this chip and are cheap, the shuttle i mentioned, an ecs K75SA, and a pc chips 850L.. I think the shuttle is the better of the boards, then the ecs.. Personally i wouldnt touch a pc chips board...

hope this helps
Hockeyfan6781
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Nads » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:47 pm

If youre gonna cut corners, cut them elsewhere in the computer. Buy a good mobo from a reputable manufacturer and I recommend getting the fastest, most feature packed board you can find. You can use a lower end cpu or do any other number of things to save money, but the system will only be as good as the mobo you choose. I have personally witnessed many machines with slower cpus outperform faster cpus because of motherboards. Get a good board, try to get as good of a cpu as you can afford and then add to it a piece at a time if you have to. I cant imagine building something that I would in the end only be unhappy with. Check ebay as a lot of good boards can be found there for much less than what you might pay for them elsewhere.
AMD FX-53
ASUS SK8V
2 WD RAPTORS (raid 0)
BFG 6800ULTRA OC
1 gig OCZ DDR400 (registered)
THERMALTAKE SILENT BOOST COOLER
Nads
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby orion9727 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:04 pm

i going to go out on a limb here but motherboards are the least expensive part of a pc,$50-$150 ,with most around $100 or so.considering that the have chipsets,controler chips a boat load of transistors,capistors what ever and software.i heard that there is NO money in the motherboard industry,and it the MOST important aspect of performane,stabilty,future upgradibity,NOT THE PLACE YOU WANT TO SAVE A BUCK!silly sound cards cost more!we have DAM cheap motherboard everwhere!most people spend more on silly black lighted painted cases!i could be wrong though!
orion9727
Green Belt
Green Belt

Hey here is some stuff to get you going

Postby jtcartboy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:42 pm

Just keep it simple
You can get a decent mobo for roughly $80 an ASUS A7V333 from newegg.com the board is fast and stable
then you can get an athlon xp 1700 for about $60 after shipping from newegg to
Just go for a basic video card like a radeon 9000 or a geforce mx 440

get a cheap WD or Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm hard drive and then just some
PC 2700 DDR Ram
jtcartboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War