Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby n3r0 FmX » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:18 pm

triggerhappy41 wrote:Not inserting the AGP card all the way into the slot. It might seem like its in, but be sure and give it a firm push. dont be afraid.

thanks for the tip though, it could be necessary in the near future.
n3r0 FmX
Initiate
Initiate

Postby mole2704 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:16 am

most common tat happens to me is that i 'tidy-up' the inside of teh case and then put it all back together. then forget to flick the switch on the wall.

one that happened the other day, i wanted to fit an old tv card of mine into my pc to try and get it running. took it all apart but only had one PCI slot avaliable to fit it into. prob was the layout of the mobo had the IDE channels in the way of the card as it was such a long card. After rearranging the other cards and making some space i tried again, it's a F*&$ing AGP card :x :x

Then removed the graphics card and had one last look at the TV card before i put it in. thought i was gona be caugt out but no, i resalised that my new monitor only had the DVI cable attached and so went into the loft to get the VGA cable. got back down and went to put the card in the slot. F&%$ :x :x . there must be a AGP v1.0 and v1.1 or sumit cos i couldn't get it in. there are three sections to the interface. the mobo had 1&2 with 3 split off, the card had 1 split from 2&3.

What a waste of time :evil: :evil:
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: The BIOS *is* there for a reason (I guess)

Postby american_grrrl » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:32 am

ranec wrote:The other day I'd spent several hours trying to get both of my 20GB Fujitsu IDE drives working.

I could get the one on my primary IDE channel recognised, but not the one on the secondary channel.

After asking (here) for help, it turned out that only the primary channel was set to AUTO in the BIOS settings. :oops:

I will most definately admit to that. And....the very first system I ever built (or tried to) before I knew what I was doing, I didn't know squat about what FSB meant and had no clue the total was averaged. So what did I do? Yep.....went into Bios and set it to 200. Cos the book said it was 200fsb. Turned it on all excited only to be met with a puff of smoke and that lovely burning smell :mb_angry:: . Heh! Got a new board and new cpu, used the original memory and video card....worked great once I set it to 100.

Come to think of it I still have that board tucked away. Maybe one day I will slap a spare procy in there and see if it fried too.
CPU = i5 2500k
MOTHERBOARD = Asus P8P67 Pro
RAM = 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X DDR3 1600
HEATSINK = THERMALTAKE FRIO push/pull
OS = WIN7 PRO 64
POWER SUPPLY = PC Turbo Cool 1200w
VIDEO CARD = EVGA GTX 560Ti 2Gb FERMI
SOUND = CREATIVE X-FI
HDD = WD 1TB SATA II
american_grrrl
Initiate
Initiate

Postby kltsin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Was going to keep this to myself, not that I did anything wrong but I already knew about the leak above..

Have a (rented) 2.5 story house with a garage where I have my workshop.

Last week I spent the day cleaning it out (adding a real room with flooring instead of crete etc..).
So I moved my desk to other side of garage.
Set up my systems and was playing splinter cell when about 2 gallons of water started to spill from above falling on 2 open powered systems, battery backup and the monitor I was using.
GF was cleaning bathroom and dumped a bucket of water on the linoleum but leaked at the bathtub trap.

I got lucky since I have been sick and can't sleep and I had a huge sheet of plastic on the top of the desk (keep out sawdust etc) and the water dripped slowly before it rushed to that side of the trap and poured giving me the heads up before it poured down.
I only lost a really old 14" monitor but the good stuff survived.
If I hadn't been there.. may have started a fire with 3 sleeping kids.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby tedybear » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:35 am

Glad you and the family are OK! Heck of a way to learn the trap isn't sealed correctly.

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Mounting Holes on ABIT AN8 Ultra!!!

Postby jybt » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:32 am

My ABIT AN8 Ultra has 10 holes that line up with the Enclosure holes. But only 8 of them have a shiny metallic circle around them.

Do I only install the 8 screws? One of the screws I am concerned with is next to the Northbridge/southbridge chipset and the board is relatively unsupported in that area.
jybt

Re: Mounting Holes on ABIT AN8 Ultra!!!

Postby profofpcs » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:51 am

jybt wrote:My ABIT AN8 Ultra has 10 holes that line up with the Enclosure holes. But only 8 of them have a shiny metallic circle around them.

Do I only install the 8 screws? One of the screws I am concerned with is next to the Northbridge/southbridge chipset and the board is relatively unsupported in that area.

personally i wouldnt put any screws in any holes that doesnt have the solder around it. so i say, put screws in the holes that are protected.

depression is just anger without the enthusiasm
anger is just danger without the "d"
profofpcs
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby pahoogawoo » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:33 pm

my worst mistake was trying to put toget my first computer at 2:00 in the morning with a pal. well it turns out that if you leave the power supply switch on, dont unplug it and plug the power,reset and led into the wrong places your power supply can blow up and leave a burn mark and acid all on the wall behind it lol ... next time i unplugg :wink:
pahoogawoo
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Flyin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:37 pm

Spent $1350 on a new rig and a used 6800gt and remembered everything but a vga to dvi adapter. Now it's labor day weekend and I'm in bum**** Kansas. $^@*(@!!!
Flyin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support