I/O Shields

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

I/O Shields

Postby Sema4MK » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:46 am

I just bought an ASUS P4S8X mobo and plan on putting it in an old ATX case I have. Since the ASUS mobo has many new I/O ports like onboard sound/LAN and Firewire built in, the rear I/O shield differs from that of what is built into the case. Is there any easy way to replace the old I/O shield or am I going to have to get out the Dremel?
--Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.
Sema4MK
Initiate
Initiate

Re: I/O Shields

Postby Starbuck15 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:48 pm

Sema4MK wrote:I just bought an ASUS P4S8X mobo and plan on putting it in an old ATX case I have. Since the ASUS mobo has many new I/O ports like onboard sound/LAN and Firewire built in, the rear I/O shield differs from that of what is built into the case. Is there any easy way to replace the old I/O shield or am I going to have to get out the Dremel?

My Asus A7V333 Mobo came with its own I/O shield (a rather flimsy one at that, but it did come with it), I wonder why yours didn't include one.
-Starbuck
Visit my Homepage and Ben 10 Games here
Hey I'm a GEEK and I'm proud of it!
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Sema4MK » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:52 am

Actually my P4S8X mobo did come with one, but my concern is with putting it in my old ATX case.

The old I/O shield is built into the case and am confused with what they want me to do with the new one.
--Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.
Sema4MK
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Starbuck15 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:13 am

Sema4MK wrote:Actually my P4S8X mobo did come with one, but my concern is with putting it in my old ATX case.

The old I/O shield is built into the case and am confused with what they want me to do with the new one.

Hmmmm, I can only think that you would have to cut it out and find some way to apply the new I/O shield. You probably have an older or more generic case that doesn't have swappable I/O shields. Are you sure its directly attached, and not just clipped in some way? My case had the same kind of I/O shield as my Mobo (its a Lian-Li though :wink: ), except with different slots for ports (My mobo has a built in sound chip). If you cut it out to the size of you're old one (make the fit a little tight, if its too tight, you can always sand off some more. But if it's too lose, you're kind of screwed :P ).
-Starbuck
Visit my Homepage and Ben 10 Games here
Hey I'm a GEEK and I'm proud of it!
Starbuck15
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to System Modification