How about a For Sale Section?

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Postby Toby B. » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:44 pm

some_random_guy wrote:To protect from scams there could be a 'middle man'.
Instead of using credit cards just use cash or check. Both parties would send the items or money to someone from the motherboards.org site. Then when he got both items he would continue the process by sending the packages the rest of the way. Sure it would take longer, and there would be more shipping and handling, but it seems safer to me.
Just a thougt. Theres probably some huge flaw in my idea that i havent seen yet but oh well
Credit Cards, checks or something like Paypal would be the best bet. Sending cash through the mail is just plain stupid!!!Say a customer sends $50USD cash to someone, (1 of three things would happen 1.> the cash is found by someone and is stolen. 2.> the person recieves the cash and says they never did. Or 3.>the cash makes it to it's destination and the item is shipped out.............

I would hope it was 3, but am suspicious the 1 or 2 would happen....Credit Cards, checks and paypal are for the most part fail safe ( due to stop payments, tracing, etc. )

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:13 pm

or 4. we could just blame Mobocop for everything :P

i like 4, it makes the most sense that and its fun to upset mobocop :lol: 8) :P
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby jimfitz2128 » Sun Aug 11, 2002 7:51 pm

I have seen this feture on several forums and it seems to work okay. They seem to attract a lot of attention.
jimfitz2128
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Zero » Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:37 pm

datektrader21 wrote:or 4. we could just blame Mobocop for everything :P

i like 4, it makes the most sense that and its fun to upset mobocop :lol: 8) :P

good idea just wish he doesnt get mad ban us from the forums :roll:
ya i know i suck at typing
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JohnCD » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:56 am

I agree that we probably can trust most members here -- we SHOULD be able to do that -- but some it appears we can't.

For specific example, it's becoming increasingly likely that one of our motherboard.org "colleagues" burned me for a few bucks as he hasn't answered his e-mail since I sent the money nor do I have the item he said he'd sell me. Unless he writes or the item comes in real quick, I got taken.

So much for "being adults here," right nbeiser?

Maybe there's a good and valid reason he's not responded, but how am I to know? Right now, it doesn't look good.

John D.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Zero » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:44 pm

JohnCD wrote:I agree that we probably can trust most members here -- we SHOULD be able to do that -- but some it appears we can't.

For specific example, it's becoming increasingly likely that one of our motherboard.org "colleagues" burned me for a few bucks as he hasn't answered his e-mail since I sent the money nor do I have the item he said he'd sell me. Unless he writes or the item comes in real quick, I got taken.

So much for "being adults here," right nbeiser?

Maybe there's a good and valid reason he's not responded, but how am I to know? Right now, it doesn't look good.

John D.

oh that dude nbieser i remember him he hasnt poted in a long time btw wat exactly did u tell him to do and how much did u give him???
ya i know i suck at typing
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JohnCD » Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:23 pm

zero,

No, I think you misunderstand. I was quoting what nbeiser said about us "all being adults here" re: the idea we all could trust each other for buying/selling/trading if we had a forum group here for that...which really would be good.

But it was not nbeiser himself who stiffed me -- I have to say APPEARS to have stiffed me -- it was tokey1999.

As I said, I can't get ahold of tokey1999 so I have no way of knowing what's up with him -- some sudden situation might have happened where he can't answer -- but because he doesn't respond anymore I can only conclude that he stiffed me. I mailed the payment to him just over a week ago (October 3)...he should have gotten it by now for sure. And the item should be on it's way or here by now.

He offered a 5-port USB 2.0 card and I took him up on it. I sent him the payment October 3 -- for the card and shipping -- but he stopped answering his e-mails after that. He was supposed to e-mail me (1) when my payment arrived so I knew he got it and then (2) tell me he shipped the card...which was supposed to be ready to go, just waiting for me.

I have yet to get any such e-mails, and it seems his last post in this forum was October 7.

It was only $10 but trusting a fellow motherboards.org "regular" forum member and getting taken is the worst part. And that he'd do that for a mere $10 is pretty sorry, too.

Don't do any business with the guy.

John D.

P.S. As I said, if things change I will post a retraction, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

JD
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:05 pm

JohnCD wrote:I sent him the payment October 3

JohnCD do realize that the payment may have not been recieved yet as it has only been been six days so far (Sunday is excluded as no mail delivery on that day)....Normal mail transit time varies 7 to 10 days. I have seen occasions where a payment has not been recieved for nearly a month and a half due to transit issues with the US postal service...

I have not got a clue as to where Tokey1999 lives but if it is in canada, for example, it is going to take longer for him to recieve the payment....And then it will take a bit of time to recieve the card...

I have sent MoboCop a PM to bring his attention to this issue (or refresh his memory on this issue) - what ever the case may be....

I have also (like I said in my PM to you) sent Tokey1999 a PM to try and resolve the issue....

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby JohnCD » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:11 am

He's in Ohio.

1. He was supposed to send me an e-mail when my envelope arrived. I'm sure it got there by now. I've gotten no such e-mail from him.

2. He was supposed to have to ready to send at that time and said he'd e-mail me when he sent it. Again, no such e-mail.

I've sent two e-mails to him when I thought it HAD arrived, one asking him did he get it and then, after no response, a second one stating that I needed to hear from him. No response to either.

He could at least have responded to those two e-mails -- whether or not he got the envelope -- and explain any delays/problems. He was prompt before answering my emails, but he suddenly stopped responding about 4 days after I sent the envelope and about the time it "allegedly" arrived.

Now, does that look fishy or what?

Thanks for your PMing him but I thought mobocop or tolemac would as I've already written them. I also think tokey1999 should be banned from the forum for this.

Shouldn't we be able to trust at least the regular posters here at motherboards.org forum for simple deals like this? Is it MY fault that I did?

There's a bit more to the story but those are the major points.

John D.

P.S. I don't expect to get my money back OR the USB card. The MAIN goal is to expose an "alleged" scamster that may also hit on other members here who don't know about his poor "rating" re: buy/sell/trade deals and get people like that banned.

If we had a buy/sell/trade section/group here, I think for the most part it would go well, but we'd need ANOTHER group/section where we could post things like this where warning re: scamsters were posted, so the rest of us could avoid doing ANY business with the people named in that group.

If you think that my bringing all this to the fore is also a faux-pas, I myself will "resign" from this forum if you wish.

JD
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:30 pm

Just to get everyone up to speed, I am personally looking into this matter and will post the resolution as it happens. In the mean time, noone is being banned and I am in talks with MoboCop as to setting up a "troll" (bad trader) list in the BB&S forum. Trust me when I tell you that anyone who deserves to be on that list will be and also on the list of every other tech site on the net. Until this IS resolved, I'm closing this thread.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site