Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard Review

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard Review

Postby MoboCop » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:27 pm

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Toby B. » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:53 pm

SLI (Scalable Link Interface) technology has taken off like a bat out of hell and the craze has even seeped over onto the Intel platform as NVIDIA provides the first ever chipset that supports the LGA775 platform. It has all the goodies available on the current NF4 platform, but with a new twist, it is SLI for the Intel crowd. Gigabyte is a company that never misses a beat when it comes to having available motherboards for any given platform and they seem to be a step ahead many times when new chipsets are available for manufactures to implement in their latest boards. With VIA, NVIDIA, and Intel all manufacturing new chipsets there will be plenty of new motherboards hitting the market by this summer.

is it manufactures or manufacturers? (i.e. bolded in the above quote)...?
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby MoboCop » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:27 pm

fixed.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby poiuy223 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Although some may complain that overclocking options are spare, this board's target consumer is the gamer. Taking that in mind and with both PCIe slots utilized in an SLI-Mode, overclocking is something of a moot point, as framer rates are at their highest point when setup in this configuration. A few hundred or so MHz of increased CPU power would be almost a waste of time as the hotter and faster a CPU is clocked the less stable many systems become anyways.

i argued with you about this doc and im going to argue again. one of the main reasons why people overclock the board is to get faster frames rates. not everyone can afford high end hardware. the main reasons why a 3000+ winchester is so popular is because it overclocks high, to the 4000+ range. if the board doesn't allow it, there wouldn't be a point. im not sure about the rest of you, but as a gamer, in which this board is targeted, i find that this board wouldn't suit my needs.

btw im not saying this review is biased or it sucks. it doesnt. the features and everything on this board is awesome and i thought about getting one myself. but knowing that the bios is lacking just turns me off. i just dont see why overclocking would be a moot point for gamers. thats pretty much the main reason why overclocking is done, for gamers to get more frames.

sure things get a little hotter, but cpu cooler are awesome nowadays. the zalman 7700 sure can take it. amd cpus dont get nearly as hot anyway. stability-wise, as long as you have good enough hardware it wouldnt be a problem. you always overclock and run at the most stable setting anyway
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Toby B. » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:06 pm

Good point(s) John.. :wink:
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby poiuy223 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:26 pm

thanks. to clarify, im not bashing doc or the review or trying to start a war. i just dont see how overclocking and gaming dont go hand in hand
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Toby B. » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:37 pm

i just dont see how overclocking and gaming dont go hand in hand
Well... You can do gaming without Overclocking. Albeit, most gamers want every FPS they can push out of their system for as little as possible - hence why overclocking is so popular.....
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Doc Overclock » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 am

If you can afford the dual-SLI cards for your system, I am sure you can afford a high end CPU as well. The board rocks regardless of being able to get great overclocking results. If have an 4000+/FX-55 CPU 1GB of RAM and dual 6800GT cards,, overclocking is not even necessary. That is my point and I am sticking to it. Stability, board ergonomics and a rich features package make this an outstanding board. I it can overclock about 15% with standard air cooling. All gamers are not overclockers, this is a very true statement and this board is geared towards gamers first, overclockers second.
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby poiuy223 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:12 pm

the thing is you forget about budget gamers. i can afford a 3000+ and dual 6600gts. that makes the system a gaming system too. but in order to get the most out of my money, i would be overclocking. yes if people can afford the high end parts they dont have to overclock but you cant say that overclocking is a moot point for gamers. it'll be like saying 2d IQ is a moot point for high end video cards because they focus on 3d anyway.

yes gamers dont always overclock but overclockers always game so you cant leave out the overclockers when you use the term "gamers"

Doc writes; Not every gamer is an overclocker so climb down from your high-horse and come back down to reality.

im not saying that you should change your review. if it ran 15% overclocked then great. but to say that the lack of bios options doesnt matter and that overclocking is a moot point for gamers just doesnt really make sense. '

Doc writes; for many gamers it is a moot point, your point is weak on this as the board was never developed for extreme overclocking.
poiuy223
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:22 pm

I'm a die hard gamer and overclocker at the same time. I don't see any connection between the two once you get past 60FPS. I could've pushed my NV40 up to about 400mhz/1ghz if I wanted, but I don't see the point with how much gaming performance I already have. A 3000+ is hardly a restrictive CPU, so overclocking it is kind of pointless.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site