Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.1

Postby Ryn » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:18 pm

you can download the here

enjoy :wink:
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Oylpann » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:23 pm

Thanks Ryn. I'm updated and feel more secure already! :lol:
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby kltsin » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:01 am

great timing Ryn, i was just posting a reply on FF's issues and how good they are at security...
The main issues were seen Feb 7th and fixed in under 3 weeks.. I am very impressed.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby snap355 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:31 am

I'll wait for V2.0 j/k :)
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Oylpann » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:26 am

from news.com:

The Mozilla Foundation released on Thursday an update to the Firefox Web browser to fix several vulnerabilities, including one that would allow domain spoofing.

The open-source project released Firefox 1.0.1 to fix, among other bugs, a vulnerability in the Internationalized Domain Names (IDN), a standard for handling special character sets in domain names that lets companies register domain names that appear to be the same in different languages.

The IDN vulnerability allowed an attacker to create a fake Web site on a non-Microsoft browser in order to pull off a phishing scam. A spoofed link would seem to be a legitimate URL in the address bar of affected browsers. But instead of taking the victim to the trusted site, the link would lead to a phony Web site with a domain rendered as the same address under the IDN process.

The updated browser will display the IDN Punycode in the address bar, preventing URL spoofing. Punycode is the encoding of Unicode strings into the limited character set supported by the Domain Name System and IDN.

"Regular security updates are essential for maintaining a safe browsing experience for our users," Chris Hofmann, director of engineering for the Mozilla Foundation, said in a statement.

Phishing attacks, which try to fool consumers into handing over sensitive information by creating legitimate-looking Web sites and e-mail messages, have become a central security concern recently. While vulnerabilities in Microsoft's Internet Explorer have been the focus of much of the concern, other browsers also have had their fair share of flaws.

The update is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux at Mozilla.org.

Firefox recently surpassed 25 million downloads, achieving that mark in 100 days. Mozilla, which released the free 1.0 program in November, said an average of 250,000 people download Firefox every day and more than half a million Web sites feature Firefox promotions.

Mozilla, an open-source software foundation formed by Netscape, was spun off from Time Warner in 2003.
"You cant hug your family with Nuclear Arms"

Asus F2A85-V Pro
AMD A10-5800K APU @ 4.5GHz
8GB G. Skill 1866
550w PSU
Hyper 212 Evo
Oylpann
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby kltsin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:00 am

In laymens terms its the unicode.. This was to use one character for another since many sites arent in english anymore.

Please update!!!!
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Newbie to Firefox

Postby dpnaugle » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:20 pm

I have always used MS Explorer but recently I decided I would see what all the hoopla is about Mozilla FF. It seems to be pretty good so far. I believe it is a bit slower at loading pages then MS Explorer, but I like the idea of encouraging competition to Mr. Gates.

Can anyone elaborate on the benefits to using one over the other?

DN
Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6,
Intel E8500 @ 3.16GHz-Hyper TX2,
Corsair 4x1G-XMS2 @ 4-4-4-12,
XFX 8800 GTS 512,
WD 500GB, Plextor 712A,
Win 7 64 Pro, NeoPower Blue 650
Dell 2001FP 20.1 LCD
dpnaugle
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Re: Newbie to Firefox

Postby Ryn » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 pm

dpnaugle wrote:Can anyone elaborate on the benefits to using one over the other?

DN

it has tabbed browsing and a popup blocker :wink:
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby sloopdog 1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:21 pm

did you look here>http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53242?
speeds ff up a bit. :)

No keyboard detected-Press any key to continue.
sloopdog 1
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: Newbie to Firefox

Postby kltsin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:33 pm

dpnaugle wrote:I have always used MS Explorer but recently I decided I would see what all the hoopla is about Mozilla FF. It seems to be pretty good so far. I believe it is a bit slower at loading pages then MS Explorer, but I like the idea of encouraging competition to Mr. Gates.

Can anyone elaborate on the benefits to using one over the other?
DN

The
Link given prior can show you how to speed it up, read the entire thread as i had some revisions to the initial post and it also speaks of the security of FF compared to IE. As of now there is only 1 unpatched security advisory listed for FF that may also have been fixed with this patch, IE currently has 20 vulernabilities that are currently unpatched.

FF has no activeX which makes it much safer, its not a part of the OS shell as IE is hardwired directly into the OS (its the same as explorer basically), if IE gets attacked your OS basically gets attacked as well.
Any program can be manipulated, as of now most hackers are looking at attacking IE. So as of now FF is safer.

Why FF is better than IE; Features:

FF's tabbed browsing is worth it ALONE,

Popup blocker,

Text Search, FF's much better than IE's with a bottom toolbar that wont get in your way and a highlight all option, will go thru entire page no matter were you start (no need for search up or down theres buttons for each on search toolbar and no "end of page" comments).

Search, right click on highlighted text or string of text, it opens in google with search results in a new tab.

Built in Google search Bar,

RSS, this ads live bookmarks that update to show headlines instead of a static bookmark that never changes.

Loads web pages faster, (valid pages, invalid pages can be corrupted or slower)

Uses Less memory than IE does (noticeable less with 20 or more pages open at same time), overall uses more memory for just a few pages than IE.. But memory isnt an issue with browsers until there are ALOT of pages open........

More Privacy Options,

Small Download, FF is under 4.6mbs (I just did a 3.8mb IE critical windows update, If I need to reinstall XP (after SP2) I need to download it again instead of just using a backup FF exe install or download the latest (the IE download is over 6mb for smallest, it uses a download tool and hard to backup))

Extensions, since FF is an open source product any user who can code in C++ can make extensions, these arent like third party programs that IE uses that often cause instability, not saying extensions are perfect but often much better than IE add ons since they integrate so well, most extensions only require a download of a few Kilobytes and can have a dramatic impact.

My favoriteExtensions ...

Tabbrowser Preferences,
adds the Tabbed Browsing scalability in options, make each page pop up in a new tab instead of a new window, make that new tab be in the foreground or background, all info typed in address bar opens in new tab, same for google searches.This is a must have!!!!

FoxyTunes,
adds controls for your favorite media player onto the view bar including volume control, listing song title etc..

Dictionary search,
Typing in a forum, right click on a word you arent sure is spelled correctly, it opens a new page showing dictionary terms of that word or similar.

Map it,
right click and type in an address, opens mapquest of that info

Query To,
searches in specific engines, from ebay to google

There are many more like this..
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to General