Thermaltake Volcano 7+ And Artic Silver III

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ And Artic Silver III

Postby chmod » Fri May 10, 2002 11:24 am

I just bought a thermal take volcan 7+ and Artic Silver III. I took all of my things to comp usa to be installed. They did a good job until I noticed that the volcan 7+ was sideways. I called back and they told me it was supposed to be like that. I dont know if they are right. But if its not supposed to be sideways and I have it sideways will it affect performance in any way? Please post a reply.
chmod
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 10, 2002 1:26 pm

I am not sure what you mean by sideways. Describe exactly how it is sitting on the CPU.
It should look like this when it's mounted to the board...

Does it not look like that?
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby chmod » Fri May 10, 2002 2:51 pm

I hate Comp USA! It doesnt look like that. The Tt insted of facing up its a 90 degree turn to the right! Does this affect the preformance at all? If it does I am getting a refund. Please post a reply.
chmod
Initiate
Initiate

Any other way?

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri May 10, 2002 3:01 pm

I don't see how it could be mounted any other way. Keep in mind that the picture above shows the inside of a tower if it was placed sideways
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Actually...

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri May 10, 2002 3:14 pm

I think I understand. They somehow mounted the fan on the side of the heatsink, so it would be blowing air across the heatsink instead of down on top of it.

This is going to seriously hinder cooling ability. One side of the processor will be warmer then the other. It will not equially despense air to the fins to cool down the processor.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby chmod » Fri May 10, 2002 4:31 pm

Ya looks like comp usa really F***ED up. I wont be going there again any time soon. Thanks for helping me out with the pictures and stuff.
chmod
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 11, 2002 2:29 am

Ok, now I'm not at all sure that there's a problem as you CANNOT mount the fan any way but the way it is supposed to go on the heatsink!

Again, control, remember that the first pic I used shows the board lying on it's back. It would not look like this if the case is standing normally. It will look like it's sticking out from the board at a right angle pointing toward the case side.
Here's another pic of it mounted in the case as it would look if you took the case cover off and with the case still standing on it's feet...

Now, does it look like this?? If so, then it is installed correctly. If not, can you take a picture of it, or describe it better for me?
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby chmod » Sat May 11, 2002 11:00 am

It looks like that. My friend said it wasn t supposed to. well guess we were both wrong. Thanks For your help.
chmod
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 11, 2002 11:49 am

No problem! That's why we're here. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks