best Os

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

best operating system

Poll ended at Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:53 pm

windows 95
No votes
windows 98
6%
windows 98se
22%
windows 2000
6%
windows Me
3%
windows Xp
50%
Linux
13%

Total votes : 32

Best OS

Postby TremousOLyryus » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:52 am

This is the second time today of me posting this :) everyone knows that Windows XP, and 98 are sooo much better than Linux. :) :evil: :twisted: 8O
:P <---Looky, it has a tounge :)
TremousOLyryus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby EvLwMn » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:15 am

Yes, so much better at crashing.
So much better at BSODs
So much better at Fatal Exception Errors.
So much better at performing Illegal Operations.
So much better at Invalid Page Faults.
So much better at General Protection Faults.
Etc, etc, etc.

Have you ever used Linux?? Do you have any experience using it at all??

Linux is the most stable OS I've ever used and the ONLY shortcoming it has is with games. The companies that put out the games aren't smart enough to figure out that they would do well to put out Linux versions of their games. The games that HAVE been ported to Linux run well, but there are not a lot of them because the porting is done by volunteers who don't get paid for it but do it for the cause.
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:56 am

The companies that put out the games aren't smart enough to figure out that they would do well to put out Linux versions of their games

probably corporate manipulation by microsoft- 90% of users are using microsoft os's, so it's also business economics as well (chase after 10% of users might not be sound business practice- suppose a hero software co or two might be needed- but then does the code become open source, making piracy easy? doesn't seem logical for co's to pursue).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby MoboCop » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:28 am

being a game developer myself I will tell you why they do not make their games for linux. Money. It costs a lot of money to develop a game and to port to linux does not make sense for the potential return on investment. Mac is the same.

It is such a small % that you have to (at least as an independent developer) target the market that is going to pay the bills.

If and when linux gets a larger % of the market watch the number of games targeted to that platform increase.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby EvLwMn » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:50 am

Yes, I understand the economics of it. All I was trying to say is that the games issue is why Linux doesn't have more market share. I have spoken with many gamers who say they would switch to Linux for the stability if the game compatibility issue wasn't there.

On the other hand I know a lot of hard-core Linux users who also happen to like to play games who can't buy the new games because they don't work on Linux. They have to wait until they are ported to Linux then download them from sourceforge or somewhere. Then they're free and no one makes any money from them.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:13 pm

EvLwMn wrote:Yes, I understand the economics of it. All I was trying to say is that the games issue is why Linux doesn't have more market share. I have spoken with many gamers who say they would switch to Linux for the stability if the game compatibility issue wasn't there.

On the other hand I know a lot of hard-core Linux users who also happen to like to play games who can't buy the new games because they don't work on Linux. They have to wait until they are ported to Linux then download them from sourceforge or somewhere. Then they're free and no one makes any money from them.

it is the chicken before the egg syndrome. Even if they had made a linux version they would still lose money as the cost of the development over the return is not there.

So while the linux users get it free eventually (some of them) they have to wait a while for the port.

The swing has to come from the business side. When businesses use linux and their employees become accustomed to it, it will then migrate somewhat to the home. but you never know, Gates could release palladium and force the world to linux.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby len444 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:16 pm

len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:12 am

MoboCop wrote:The swing has to come from the business side. When businesses use linux and their employees become accustomed to it, it will then migrate somewhat to the home. but you never know, Gates could release palladium and force the world to linux.

Yeah, I know you're right there. I think it's a shame though. The gaming companies COULD make money from the Linux people. I know there are a LOT of games I would run right out and buy if I could run them (NWN, MOHAA, etc). And if I feel that way, there are others out there too.

The nice thing is that there are more and more businesses switching over to Linux because it saves them money in the long run (never mind the stability or security - like you said, it's all about money) I read somewhere (I wish I could remember where) that it costs a business something like $8.10 per month per PC to run Windows (any version) but only $2 per month per PC to run Linux. Boy if you were a consultant that a business was paying to tell them how to save money you would have a sale. You could buy one distro, burn copies for next to nothing, then sell it to the company who hired you and make a bundle. The only real problem I can see with a company migrating over is the lack of properly trained Linux admins. But hey, even if they sent one of their existing admins to school, in the long run they're saving money.

I've been reading about that palladium crap. Is that not a bunch of sh*t or what???
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Windows 98-XP

Postby TremousOLyryus » Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:16 am

I have used both of these for like ever now, they have never crashed on me once. I got nothing on Linux, I hear they have a very nice interface. But I still like Windows because I am used to it. :twisted: :evil: :roll: 8) 8O :lol: [/code][/quote]
:P <---Looky, it has a tounge :)
TremousOLyryus
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War