water block designs?

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

water block designs?

Postby DTanner » Fri May 10, 2002 7:30 am

I may have just gone off the deep end or maybe left the hockey helmet off too long but I would like to make a custom water cooling block for a home made water cooling system.

I am a minor machinist at work. (mostly cosmetic work) I make custom paintball guns. Doing this I have full access to a bridgeport milling machine. I have all of the tools I will need for the job here at work, but I don't know what design to use. I have seen zig-zags and spirals. which are better? I want to make the block out of 2 pieces of bar stock copper. one for the top and one for the bottom. what thickness should I get? I want to use 1/4" npt stainless steel hoses custom made for the application (we get these at work also). the hoses or at least the elbows would thread into the block. they are rated at up to 300psi and you would need bolt cutters to cut them so I feel safe with these even though they are more expensive than I would like they look just like the silver rounded cable so it should look pretty good inside the case. What do you guys think of pumps? what kind of flow is needed for a pump in this type of system? I really want numbers instead of brand names. I know there are a lot of different pumps out there not all used for this app and it may be easier knowing the actual requirements for the job instead of looking for a particular brand. what direction should the coolant flow and what type of coolant should I use? I was thinking of some type of antifreeze used for high temps but is this a bad idea?
DTanner
Initiate
Initiate

Postby DTanner » Sat May 11, 2002 3:58 am

Does no one on this board do water cooling? or is it just that you guys don't have an opinion on this?
DTanner
Initiate
Initiate

A Combination of Both and More....

Postby TheReader » Sun May 12, 2002 3:05 am

DTanner...

I check into the mod forum from time to time to see what others are doing to cases/systems to make them expressive and responsive.

The notion of water-cooling a PC hasn't appealed to me because, essentially, I want to keep water out of my case! ;-)

I can understand how it would be a superior cooling system, but I can't dispel the fears of a "leak" somewhere down the road from a failed piece of tubing, pump or other hardware component. What a mess that would be!

There are a number of companies that do this, I know. Still, I would guess that this approach is "in its infancy." Frankly, I've NEVER HEARD of any of these systems failing. Now, a homebrew system?

I guess it depends on your confidence in your own capabilities. As far as I'm concerned, I know I can't walk on water!

Why don't you post a sketch or plan? I think people would be intrigued to look on, comment or even make suggestions if they have more experience than I do.

Good Luck! I admit I'm curious....

The Reader
TheReader

Postby DTanner » Sun May 12, 2002 3:03 pm

Hey thanks for your reply. I have been doing some research on this subject for some time now. I am an airsmith for custom paintball markers. In this field we have to make connections that are rated air tight at pressures up to 3000psi As for leaks I am not as worried because The connections I am looking at are over kill.

What I was actually hopeing for were some suggestions on design before I mill a semi expensive piece of material. And if any one has an explanation of why one design is better or worse than another this would be very appreaciated
DTanner
Initiate
Initiate

Water Blocks

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun May 12, 2002 3:40 pm

Some of the better water block designs I have seen are below:

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby TheReader » Sun May 12, 2002 4:06 pm

Hardware Mobo-Fu Master Junkie...

That's the micro view...the design of water moving across a solid block of metal. Impressive. I really like the upper left version as it seems to be moving the most water for cooling purposes.

How about the Macro View? How do all the pumps, tubes and plates fit in?

Does a water cooled system seek to cool ALL of the components, including video card and RAMBUS and...etc.???

Assume fans are already in place on the videoboard...could a surrounding system of cooling plates (think of an airconditioner's thousands of tiny plates that cool incoming air) reduce the temperatures for the fan? Air conditioning in the case!

Does the system work on a heat-pump principle?

Barring any progress on that, I think DTanner could break new ground with a game system that blasted a losing player with a paintball! Yes, it's light hearted, but there is a TV show someplace that would pick up that idea and invite computer nerds, like us, to come and play against the machine. The audience would reap untold delight from seeing the feverish, determined game-player waxed by a blast of green slime paint coming from...HIS COMPUTER!

The nozzle for the paintball gun could be located in the front panel or atop the unit. You could have IR control to "heat seek" the player so he/she couldn't duck out of it. What a CASE MOD!

But I digress.

Actually, DTanner has me thinking of water cooling technology. No, I'm not rushing out to buy a motherboard, HDD and RAM and invite the plumber over for a design session. But I do have a LEETLE bit of kit around this place and for small bucks I could...well, I hear the wife coming downstairs so I'll save it for later.

Ciao!

reader
TheReader

Alright here...

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun May 12, 2002 5:06 pm

That's the micro view...the design of water moving across a solid block of metal. Impressive. I really like the upper left version as it seems to be moving the most water for cooling purposes.

How about the Macro View? How do all the pumps, tubes and plates fit in?

Unfortunately these were theoredical designs that never made it into play (except that bottom left one, I have seen that elsewhere). I posted them because they have the most water flow capability.

The one your looking at would be a bit of a mess of tubes and such, mainly because there would be so many places for water to flow. You would also have to use different sizes to deal with pressure and air bubble problems. A friend of mine showed me the design your looking at, with some other variations. Soomething a friend of his had though up, and was currently working on. But I don't know if it made it into practice.

Working in a machine shop might give the original poster the flexability to try these out.

Does a water cooled system seek to cool ALL of the components, including video card and RAMBUS and...etc.???

This was just a design for the processor.

Assume fans are already in place on the videoboard...could a surrounding system of cooling plates (think of an airconditioner's thousands of tiny plates that cool incoming air) reduce the temperatures for the fan? Air conditioning in the case!

I have been toying with the idea of lowering the over all temperature inside the case for awhile now. The problem is your going to create one of 2 things. Either massive amounts of condinsation, or your going to create a rain forest type of dampness within the case. Water particles would form on the components

Does the system work on a heat-pump principle?

They all work on a pump system.

If I had the tools and the time, I would have tried a few of the above water blocks out, but I have had very little time to experiment.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Sun May 12, 2002 8:48 pm

And never forget the good ole intake fan and exhaust fan to help bring down the inside ambient temperature of the case.

Typically you go with the provided heat sinks on the video, northbridge, ram, and hard disks. Until you overclock.... then you might as well try to adapt a water cooler for each device.

I think the biggest problem is finding an adequate pump/resevoir to handle what you throw at it. Then maybe a trip to the auto parts store for a nice oil/trans cooler for plenty of cooling. Then you will need a few system case fans (2 or 3) to bring air through the radiator.

Interesting project, would like to know how it progresses.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:59 pm

I could not even bare the thought of liquid cooling a PC. One leak and its done 8O ..... I'll stick with the good ole air cooling setup.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:42 am

Maybe you can design a better waterblock. The water cooling block is only how much thick? 1/2"? 3/4"? 1"? I'm really not sure of the dimension. If think waterblocks leak they drip on your board or pc cards etc.

Since you have access to materials and machineries....Why not design a waterbock which is a 8" or 9" making the it one end on the chip and the other end passing through the case and start from there. Making all your tubings on the outside of the case. If it leaks, it leaks on the outside. I's outrageous but do you think it'll work??? :roll: Since DTanner is the most fortunate to give this a shot with all his resources...only him can make water cooling to a higher level.

All of these are just funny thoughts tho LOL

GoodLuck!!!
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to System Modification