water block designs?

Resources, guides, discussions for modding your system.

Postby andrey » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:21 am

im gonna go water cooling myself actually, in a couple of months with a Koolance system probably.

as for the design, I think you can try a channel type design, sort of like a maze. that way water doesn't go straight from entrance to exit, but curves around the whole block.

one thing to keep in mind however, if you plan on using copper, don't use aluminum later on in a part of the system, due to galvanizing, since water is an electrolite, copper with aluminum particles will mix up (copper decomposes slightly in water I believe) and will participate out to form solid particles. if those particles happen to reach the block, it can plug up the block, effectivly stopping the cooling effects of it, and frying the CPU unless you have a probe/auto-shutdown feature.
________
Payment protection insurance forum
Last edited by andrey on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

well

Postby SupraDraco » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:51 am

Well I'll chime in now. I have seen a water cooler system fail. Its not pretty. It was a homemade system using thin walled tubing passing through the heatsink fins, (touching themm all). It lasted about 1 year on a P3. It ran a 60psi pump with a 1 gal tank of radiator fluid mixed 50/50. The failure was a resault of the minor vibrations in the tubing chaffing against the fins which caused the break (hole).

Intel is working on a watered cooled heatsink/ fan combo that will cool a therorical P8 running at 10GHZ. They need it cuz they broke the 200Gig HDD barrier and also expect to have chips running that would reach 10K f. Deg. if not cooled. Read a small article in Gamer Mag. They said if not cooled in this way (water cooled) the chip would be as hot as the surface of the sun in 15 seconds. No fan will cool this alone.

IMHO Water cooling is a fact in our near future. Anyone working on these systems will be ahead of the game and setting themself up for a good payday.
SupraDraco
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Doc Overclock » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:56 pm

Interesting thread I would like too see more////
:D :D :D :D
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby -=SpydeR69=- » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:34 pm

Well.. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
About leak protection, why not use a fluid that doesn't conduct electricity? or damage components in any other way?
I saw a really neat article on someone doind liquid-nitro 8O cooling, wish I could remember where it was :cry:
Fluroinert rings a bell...

Just an idea :P
-=SpydeR69=-
-=SpydeR69=-
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:24 pm

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ether.real » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:15 pm

I was actually considering at one point using my window air conditioner for a cooling setup...I was going to take a plastic bag, and seal up the front of the AC unit, then take a garden hose, mount it to the bottom of the bag (using plenty of duct tape), then mount the hose to the chassis of the PC, where a fan normally sits. Then mount the side of the case halfway to develop an air flow to the front of the case. :D

It woulda worked great, too, however the wife didn't really care for the idea.... :D
ether.real
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:37 pm

however the wife didn't really care for the idea....

Universal constant...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to System Modification