ANY MAC OS VS windowsxp

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MAC vs WindowsXP

ANY MAC OS
27%
WINDOWSXP
73%

Total votes : 30

Postby useless comment » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:07 am

GuKorean,

My info may be a few months old but either I was reading or watching something and an interviewer was talking to some of the guys(or possibly the head guy) at ILM and he/they was talking about thier switch to an Athlon MP platform. They had been using P3 Xeons and Linux I believe after leaving SGI behind. Don't take my word for it though, look into it.

It seems to make sense to me considering I'm using a lazy old 1Gig Duron on an Epox 8kha+ with only 128MB of RAM and an ancient Riva128 4MB vid card, and guess what? Video editing, 3D modelling and mapping(3DStudioMax - that's right w/only 128MB of RAM), graphics editing(photoshop is not just for macintosh, get that through the skull) all blaze along at lightspeed.

This whole thing about Mac being the platform of choice for anything graphics is getting damn tiresome. It's a friggin urban legend that started way back(10-15 yrs) because the only good graphics software coming out was made for the Mac. When companies like Adobe realized that a PC is just as capable at handling thier software as a Mac was, and the fact that they could sell more units because PCs are more widely used as well as cheaper to upgrade and repair, they jumped right on it.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby IanMatthew » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:31 am

In my opinion the Mac is like "Robocop". Vaguely futuristic, shiny and new looking.

A Windows 2000 / XP PC is like "The Terminator". Cold, mean and more compatible with a wider range of weaponary.

Who would you rather have backing you up in a fight...! "I'll be back"....

PS. As fans of "The Teminator" and "T2" will recall, looking at the Terminators visual display reminds one of DOS.

"Robocop" has a much simpler display, almost with a point and click menue system.
IanMatthew
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby overclock_maximus » Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:43 pm

I just want to reply to microwavedwaters little shpeel.
1. Get a clue---- Windows only crases if you f it up or if ur tryin to open 500000000000000000000000 programs at a time and still, it doesnt even crash much. and wat about this 'windows bein in ur face' bullcrap?
I dont recall windows ever bein in my face.

2. yeah every1 knows it ---- mac isnt compatible w/ crap. maybe 4 games out of 900 million.

3. yes, they did just get high b4 they designed thier computers. They couldnt make a good lookin case in a million years. Its too d@#n fruity.

4. lol, no mac processor is faster than a p4. oh what?... what?... 1ghz? oh yeah thats frikin slow by todays standards. and the p4 sucks angainst amd? i forgot (this is 9/3) p4 2.8? huh ? 533fsb? 512k cache?amd 2200 and thier stupid naming game its really 1.8 ghz. my apologies to amd, i just dont kike thier maning thing. macs processors could naver compare to a good p4.

5. yes, mac is more stable, but i still belive that windows is more friendly.

and a word to mac ---- UR COMERCIALS ARE FRIKIN OLD. so mic.water, knucklehead right back at u. and y r u usin a pc if u like macs...? interesting... maybe because theyre BETTER.
overclock_maximus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby datektrader21 » Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:35 pm

i forgot (this is 9/3) p4 2.8? huh ? 533fsb? 512k cache?amd 2200 and thier stupid naming game its really 1.8 ghz. my apologies to amd, i just dont kike thier maning thing. macs processors could naver compare to a good p4.

2600+ is out now over the 2ghz barrier.
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby overclock_maximus » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:15 pm

yo datek srry 4 the mixup, but the 2600 wont b out 4 another month. even then intel will still b 200mhz over amd.
overclock_maximus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby overclock_maximus » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:20 pm

crap i mixed up -- intel will b more than 200 over amd. im not sure how fast the 2600 will b
overclock_maximus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby gamepyrate » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:15 pm

gosh you guys don't even know how to edit your posts, i think that shows how much you guys know about computers in general. my $.02, MAC is crap, do you know how big graphics designers and makers of animation use to render? several hundred PC's.
Mac can't be taken seriously, it has a nice look, but hey guess what, PC's can look any way the maker of the case chooses. you can't overclock a mac more than a hundred or so megahertz, while P4's overclock 50% sometimes. If you mess with your mac's insides, you void the warranty automatically. mac's "success", or whatever they call it when they propagate lies and trick people in to buying one, will not last long.

as for windows, it's a weak os, but hey it's better than anything by Mac.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby datektrader21 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:43 pm

i meant the reviews are out. :oops: barton is coming out later in the 4th qt i think that will give them a better standing.
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:11 pm

RoboCop?

The Terminator?

Pussies both of em. MoboCop would kick their booties using a g4 in one hand to beat RoboCop into a pulp and the terminator would get an ipod enema.

Let's face it. Mac is a small % of the market. Why? Because the pc platform (and windows) is better. Why is it better? It is cheaper, more customizable, and upgradable.

Mac just never got the clone market...you would think after all this time they would realize that to compete they need to open up the hardware platform and become an OS company.

Let the hundreds of innovators out there create a whole new industry for their OS to run on.

Looked what happened to the PS/2 when IBM closed their architecture after the initial clone boom. What a total f*ck up.

It is too late for Mac... How can they compete where it counts (price)...They cannot, AMD and Intel are constantly upping the performance and forcing each other to lower the price. Mac can never keep up the pace or pricing unless they opened up the hardware...

Either switch to pc components are make an open license for the hardware. Note: Take a hint here and switch to PC component platform..take a hint here and notice everything interesting happens on this hardware first.

Anyway rant off.

Whether or not the quality under the hood is better by mac or ms the clear winner is Microsoft. 98% market share does not lie.

We have also seen this recently with the Netscape Broswer.

You snooze you lose. You can say one thing about Redmond. They deliver and they are relentless.

I use IE because NETSCAPE was utter crap for such a long time. I still have to deal with complaints from users of Netcrap 4.xx versions cause it is so buggy it breaks W3C standard compliant pages....

whew...ok now I am really done.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby gamepyrate » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:44 pm

ipod enema

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War