Windows 98SE and Linux

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows 98SE and Linux

Postby cdlee_uk » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:20 am

Hiya,

My system is:
Gigabyte BX2000+
Pentium III 800MHz
512Mb PC13 SDRAM
Geforce2 MX 32Mb
SB Live!Player
40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda

The hard diak is partitioned in half and I have Windows 98 SE (on the first partition) and SUS Linux 8 filling up the rest.

When I installed SUSE it went like a dream - no problems with the installation and devices worked first time (except my scanner but I couldn't find a compatible driver). It boots quickly and runs fast with KDE 3.

When I installed Windows, the main installation went ok but after that the problems started. I had all sorts of problems getting device drivers loaded - constant hangs, crashes and reboots. I sorted them out in the end and now it runs - but takes ages to load and runs like a dog.

Think this demonstrates the superiority of Linux. By the way, I only have Windows so the kids and girlfriend can play games - anything serious or important gets done on Linux.

Chris Lee.
cdlee_uk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby EvLwMn » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:06 am

Just a comment. You should always install your Windows first. The way your post reads, you installed Linux first. I don't know if that's really how you did it but the post reads that way.

I have the same configuration except WinME/SuSE Linux 8.0. Mine works great! Very few problems except for the Windows ones (fatal exception errors, etc. but I always had those before I installed Linux)

Edit: Ok - I see that you state that Windows is on the first partition. Sorry!!
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:58 am

Windows XP, nothing more need be said.
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cdlee_uk » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:41 am

I've tried XP and didn't thing much of it. In particular software comptibility issues - I couldn't get Borland C++ V5 to work properly. I think the slow Windows load times are due to the network (I have another machine connected via a hub) - I should move this to nother forum to get some tips on that side of things. The fact remains that Linux coped with everything with ease, and windows didn't. I know SUSE 8 is more recent than Win98 SE but I hardly have any exotic hardware for it to cope with.
cdlee_uk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby EvLwMn » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:36 am

I'm not all that impressed with WinXP either. I think it's alot of fluff - uses way too many resources, program's too big and lunky, backward compatibility with other software is close to nil, etc., etc. I could go on but I don't want to get deleted again :D

SuSE 8.0 is an awesome OS. Hopefully the X11 project will get 3D working on their ATI Radeon drivers soon (unless they have already and no one told me :cry: ) I can't wait to get 3D drivers for my 8500LE so I can see what it can REALLY do under Linux :!: :!:
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby gamepyrate » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:59 pm

ati and linux don't get along well, seems ati is always way behind on getting linux drivers versus nvidia.

winxp is a cool os but it is just too slow, so i don't use it. i never had a problem with win98se, but with a linux i couldn't even install..

linux would need to be entirely compatible with windows programs, or have worthy re-makes, to ever contend with any windows. linux is better for security and speed, but with no support it's basically always going to be behind a Windows.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Noxzoul » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:05 pm

datektrader21 wrote:Windows XP, nothing more need be said.

I have had nothing but problems with XP if you have to go with Windows go with 2000, but over all Windows is crap.
-=Nox=-
Noxzoul
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby datektrader21 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:57 pm

every time a person swiches to linux bill gates sheds a tear :lol:

i like XP because its a no brainer system, and since other people use this station it helps to be as simple as AOL. i find almost all of my software has been compatible with XP, i say almost because i have had some problems with win95 based software but thats to be expected. i would not say that software support for XP is near nil but in fact very far from it.

every techy i have talked to has said XP is hands down the best OS out there.

note: i am in no way saying that AOL is as good as XP.
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cdlee_uk » Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:49 am

The main thing that Windows has over Linux is the sheer amount of software available, and that's why I haven't completely ditched it. I could use a virtual machine (have you seen the cost of vmware though!!) or other emulating software i suppose, but the results aren't going to be as good.

I don't view a good operating system as one than caters for the lowest common denominator, i.e. those that no very little about computers - you've gotta put some effort in. If you look at cost, performance, stability and flexibility, then Linux is far better than anything the Mr Gates has to offer.

To ensure Linux development carries on it does need support, to that end I make sure I buy a copy now and then to put some money back in.
cdlee_uk
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:05 pm

i think the right way to do the dual boot, is to install windows first (as suggested) then linux- w/ both oses within the first 8 gig of the hard drive (2 os partitions, then say 2 partitions @ 1 ea. windows and linux)- would be easier to add a second hard drive on for linux (slave drive same ide channel)

this is probably how i would do it- wipe the hard drive clean w/ linux fdisk (removing other format/ partition w/ win98 fdisk will not correctly remove the linux partition), then fdisk a 4.5 gig partition for win 98, a 3.5gig partition for linux, then depending on which will get more use (prob win98), i'd create out of the remainder say 2:1, or 3:1 ratio win98 to linux. (w/ the least used going to the last slowest partition). then format for drives larger than 512 meg, the first, and third partitions w/ fat32, and set the first partition active (load win98 at this point to first partition- prob c drive)- leave the second and fourth unformatted- when you go to install linux, then you'll set up the boot, root, and swap partition in the second win98 fdisked partitons (vfat) (and remainder formatted w/ ext2 or ext3 whatever is there), and format the last partition w either ext2 or ext3 as your version of linux has. one thing though- windows will not see your linux partitions when formatted, so you'll get a lower reading (in addition to the lower reading due to the 1024mbit/ gig, and 1000mbit/gig of os and hard dr resp- as well as binary for os, and decimal for hard drive).

multiboot:
http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/multibootlinux/
more code involved description:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lelab/pc/multib ... oot_en.htm
Last edited by len444 on Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War