Flash programing

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Flash programing

Postby localdistortion » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:03 pm

I don't know if this will ever get answered but I was wondering if anyone has experince here working with Flash and could maybe reference me to a site. I do have Flash experice and know all about framing and buttons and all that stuff. Action Script is what I mainly want to learn more about. I'm mainly intereted in game oriented things where the end-user can control objects on a web page.

I've found this site http://www.Flashkit.com on my journies.
P4 3.0 Ghz
Abit IC7-Max3
40 GB Western Digital
256MB Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 24 bit
1 Gig Corsair XMS LL Pc3200 DDR
Antec SOHO File Server case 1080 AMD /430 PS
*SELLING* *SEE SALE FORUM*
localdistortion
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby hypnotik » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:34 pm

I'm pretty handy with actionscript if you have any specific questions.

The actionscript reference that comes with flash isn't too bad for a general overview. But if you want to jump straight in to actually scripting, you can get plenty of tutorials from these sites:

http://www.kirupa.com/
http://www.actionscripts.org/

Good luck!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-Voltaire
hypnotik
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby localdistortion » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:05 pm

hey thanks a lot! I'm actually going to present to a school and church board with a friend of mine concepts for a site we are desining for them. I may need a little help for html programing so ill post back if i have any more questions on action script and html. We are using the Macromedia Studio MX package for future reference to my questions.

Actually I have a question right now, lol. Does anyone know if in Dreamweaver it has an option to insert a form that people can use to register for things (like an email list or to be enrolled in the school) automtically? I'm pretty sure how to do this in html but it would be nicer to have dreamweaver automatically generate the code.
P4 3.0 Ghz
Abit IC7-Max3
40 GB Western Digital
256MB Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 24 bit
localdistortion
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby localdistortion » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:38 pm

hey nevermind that question, I found way to do it with flash in one of the sites you gave me, thanks
P4 3.0 Ghz
Abit IC7-Max3
40 GB Western Digital
256MB Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 24 bit
localdistortion
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby localdistortion » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:08 pm

after doing some extesensive research :wink: it looks like my best bet to create a flash based registration/guest book like form would be to use PHP to mediate between flash and the server. However, in most of these php sites its seems like the tutorials are solely focused on creating the code for translating the resultes back to flash. All I would like it to do is create a txt document on the server with the information the user submitted.

Although it says that Dreamweaver is a good go between for flash and php. I may have to look into this.

However, what would be extremely helpful wouuld be if someone could show me the code for creating a txt document on the server with the information that the user submitted on the flash form.

In the meantime I'll continue to browse these turtorials
P4 3.0 Ghz
Abit IC7-Max3
40 GB Western Digital
256MB Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 24 bit
localdistortion
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby localdistortion » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:53 pm

now im looking at coldfusion which seems pretty complicated even though they say the language for it is "easier" then php. I'm wondering if anyone was has ever used it and can tell me what its like and if it would be suitable for what i'm trying to accomplish
P4 3.0 Ghz
Abit IC7-Max3
40 GB Western Digital
256MB Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 24 bit
localdistortion
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dgeffs » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:16 am

CF is a much easier to learn and use than ASP and I'm told it is easier than PHP although I have no experience with that. It is tag based similar to HTML and the CF server reads the tags and directs the server to return pages with data etc. I've put together a few sites using it and I find it very simple for basic read, write, update tasks. MX Studio has a developers version you can run locally to write/test your code before transferring it to your site. Remember that your ISP must suport CF and some sort of database. This is likely to cost a bit more than some low end hosting solutions. With a robust database on the back end it can support plenty of users and should scale to whatever you need. Highly recommended, especially for those new to database web development.

Dale
dgeffs
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby hypnotik » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:47 pm

I haven't tried CF, so I can't comment on that, but it would probably better to save your user data to a database rather than a txt document, especially if you are wanting to make users lists, etc. Aside from making the data easier to access from the web, You can set up an excel document, for the church/school office for example, that checks the internet database and automatically updates itself with new users, edits, etc.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-Voltaire
hypnotik
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Programming