Making a template and reading from a file

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Making a template and reading from a file

Postby Falklian » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:22 pm

I have a small amount of webspace that I got from my ISP, basic user account that came with my cable internet package. Right now, I'm just messin' around with stuff, tryin' to come up with a working template to span accross the site. As far as I know, only HTML and JavaScript will work, no PHP/MySQL/ASP/etc. I'm wondering if there is a way to read info from a text file and have it post to the webpage. Basically, say I have a news section, since I have no database options, I would have to update the HTML every time I want to post something new. Ideally, I'm wanting to know if it is possible to just have a text file where I can write whatever it is that I want to post and either through HTML, JavaScript, or a combination of both have it inserted into the main page. I thought about using inline frames, then I would just have to make a basic HTML page that has the info in it. Then I could just type in what I want and not have to mess with adding in more table rows or messing with modifying/adding layers. The problem with that is if the text extends farther down than the size of the frame, it will create a scrollbar and I don't want an ugly scrollbar in the middle of the page. I was figuring that I could make a layer with a fixed width, but not a fixed height. In theory (mine anyway :lol: ) it should make the layer long enough height-wise to fit all the text. Is any of this possible or am I just being idealistic?
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:26 pm

Check to see if your web site allows CGI access
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Falklian » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:42 pm

As far as I can tell from their FAQ, I don't have CGI access.
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby hypnotik » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:07 pm

You can pull a string from a txt file with flash & actionscript, if you want to try that.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-Voltaire
hypnotik
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:56 pm

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Falklian » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:51 am

Thanks for the links HJ. One of the links said that I could call *.js files using JavaScript. Would I be able to trick JavaScript into calling the regular text document and printing it on the site if I just changed the file extension from *.txt to *.js?
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Programming