CAT5-->CAT6 Network trouble

Moderator: The Mod Squad

CAT5-->CAT6 Network trouble

Postby asfMX » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:00 pm

Im setting up my friends network. Im using an linksys cable/dsl router. I was able to get his old computer to see the router in seconds. When I go through the wizard to setup the connection on his new computer it does nothing. It finishes and I see no new connection. Just "1394 connection".

All of the cable running from the router to the old computer is CAT5. The cable running to his new computer is CAT6, Im wondering if it is the CAT6 that is causing the problem or could it be the new computer?

I built his new computer and am plugging the cable into the port on the motherboard (IC7 max 2), could I of possibly done something to it? Should I try an ethernet PCI card?

Thanks,
-asfMX
asfMX
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:05 pm

Cat 5 and Cat5e/Cat6 will work fine together.

Im setting up my friends network. Im using an linksys cable/dsl router. I was able to get his old computer to see the router in seconds. When I go through the wizard to setup the connection on his new computer it does nothing. It finishes and I see no new connection. Just "1394 connection".

If the board has onboard ethernet, it doesn't sound like the drivers are installed properly.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby asfMX » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:07 pm

Thank you.

Ill try that tomorrow.
asfMX
Initiate
Initiate

Postby kokalo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:44 pm

If the board has onboard ethernet, it doesn't sound like the drivers are installed properly.

Is it enable in the BIOS to start with?
If so, check under H/W manager if it shows or not - which would indicate whether the drivers are installed properly and if the NIC is going (small chance, but it could actually be faulty).
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby asfMX » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:09 am

It was the drivers, thanks guys.
asfMX
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Networking