Fun with Linksys, ZoneAlarm and PC-cillin

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Fun with Linksys, ZoneAlarm and PC-cillin

Postby Reader » Sat May 25, 2002 11:02 am

Let's all be responsible and get top-notch security for our networks.

So, I see a good deal from Linksys in association with ZoneAlarm and order a 4-pack of ZoneAlarmPro + PC-cillin to secure all the computers on my network since the kids have begun to download, get email and, in general, run amuck on the internet.

There it is -- clearly on the screen -- the 4-pack license. So far, so good.

Only when I go to install do I discover that ZoneAlarmPro won't work on a Windows 95 machine. Well, it worked on mine! Until, of course, I tried to go to my VPN tunnel into work...then it locked me up.

On to the XP box, where ZoneAlarmPro is happily reporting all of the (unsuccessful) attempts by my wife to log into her email on the Windows 98 machine upstairs (heheheh)...
...I install PC-cillin. It eventually takes the registration codes and VOILA! Locks up XP so not even a Bill Gates' "three-fingered salute" can break me out.

I return to the website to discover my 4-pack of licenses:

1) Doesn't support Win95 on ZoneAlarm Pro and...

2) Doesn't support WinXP on PC-cillin.

Helluva 4-pack, huh? I guess the guys who put this together went out for beers afterwards and laughed their butts off!

And I guess there's a couple of other things that won't work together with this set of licenses....my credit card and their bank account!
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby andrey » Sat May 25, 2002 12:14 pm

im not surprised it doesn't work on Win95...no offense but it's obsolete now...

and I guess not everyone has updated their programs for WinXP either! (happens).

you can try running PC-chillin in compatibility mode..maybe it will work then... right click on the .exe file, go to properties, then turn on compatibility mode to Win98.
________
buy vaporizers
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Sat May 25, 2002 1:16 pm

You are doing the same thing many others are guitly of ( including me :oops: ). It pays to read before buying/ installing. I now have one machine running the obsolete Windows 95 because I bought a used scanner that only has software for 95. It won't even work under 98!

As for compatibility mode, I am not impressed. Every time I have tried it, it didn't work. Maybe there is someone who has had some success with it that might be able to offer some tips?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby andrey » Sat May 25, 2002 2:09 pm

it works for me, but the downside of it is the performance hit that you can experience using it.

I haven't tried every single program under compat mode, but the ones that I did try did work. some suffered performance hits, some didn't.
________
G engine
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Reader » Sat May 25, 2002 2:20 pm

I understand it's only Win95...it's a company laptop with 64MB of RAM. I could pay to upgrade it and run 98, no problem. They make products that work with 95, but not in this bundle. I'll be getting an upgraded laptop with XP on it soon, but that doesn't solve this problem, does it?

As was correctly pointed out, READ THE FINE PRINT (Graphics in this case) and buyer beware.

I'm going to uninstall and destroy my copies of the program and demand a credit. Barring that, I'll contact the credit card company and block payment.

The bottom line, in my view, is that it was sold to me as the high-security solution that worked with the hardware. It doesn't.

I like ZoneAlarm. I like Norton Anti-Virus better than PC-cillin. That's the route I will take, I think.
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 25, 2002 2:38 pm

Just my opinion, but I like Norton's firewall better than ZoneAlarms as well.
I have heard of other instances where ZA tried to sell people stuff that didn't work with their systems. It seems to be an ongoing thing. :roll:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Hot Deal on Norton Internet Security

Postby Reader » Sun May 26, 2002 6:38 am

Tolemac et omnia...

Good point about Norton. They've had the best products of any utility company out there for the last 15 years or more.

And, after cancelling my ZoneAlarm/PC-cillin order, I find a GREAT deal on Norton Internet Security at their site. I fortunately have an old version of Norton AV to use for an upgrade. It means I'm paying $19.95 for Norton's Firewall and NAV. Here's a link:

http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/hero_herospot.html

You have a choice of putting a $20 rebate to use as a tax-free donation, or keeping it yourself. There's an additional $30 rebate if you are upgrading an old Symantec product (any one of 'em not part of any upgrade before.)
reader
_ _ _____ _ _

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Networking