Wireless Print Server questions

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Wireless Print Server questions

Postby filecore » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:22 am

Okay I've been looking to add a wireless print server to add to the network, and mostly what I been coming up with are been silly USB things. I have a truly magnificent piece of printing technology (okay it does @#$! up occasionally but not enough to be worth getting rid of), a HP LaserJet 4L. It's quite obviously not USB. So would it work to get a USB-parallel adapter for the print server? (Yes I know that LinkSys make ones which also attach to parallel but they're rather expensive and harder to find in shops.)

The other question is how a slower device affects the network. If I were to use an 11b print server on an 11g network, would the whole network communicate at 11b or would the machines communicate at 11g, and only talk to the printer/print server at 11b? In which case, printing packets are small enough that 11b would be fine if I can find it in parallel. Otherwise, my first question also still applies.

Thanks for all the expertise guys! The more I learn, maybe I'll be able to help somebody else out in future (and to think that when I saw the new forums, I thought "Networking? Pah! I'll never need to go in THERE!"...
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:21 pm

It's quite obviously not USB. So would it work to get a USB-parallel adapter for the print server? (Yes I know that LinkSys make ones which also attach to parallel but they're rather expensive and harder to find in shops.)

I am not sure that is going to work. The idea of the parallel to USB adapter is that Windows would recognize the change, but going from Parallel to USB to Print Server might not be compatible

I'd stick with what works.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

If you really have trouble, let me know and I can get one for you and ship it out.

The other question is how a slower device affects the network. If I were to use an 11b print server on an 11g network, would the whole network communicate at 11b or would the machines communicate at 11g, and only talk to the printer/print server at 11b? In which case, printing packets are small enough that 11b would be fine if I can find it in parallel. Otherwise, my first question also still applies.

The devices attached to the WIFI connection work like a port on a switch, direct connections to each device. There will be a bottle neck to the printer, but it won't affect speed between PCs.
Doesn't matter much, your HP doesn't have a super fast PPM anyways.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking