WinXP, do I really need this(these) files?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

WinXP, do I really need this(these) files?

Postby jmstacey » Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:22 pm

I downloaded an update for Jet database from cnet. It appeared to install properly but when I checked the file that was triggering catchup, it was still the old version. The file is located in in Windows in a folder called last good. I found out that the same file is in the system32 folder and is the updated one. So, would it be safe to delete this file from the lastgood foldersince its the older one? and Is it safe to delete all of the files in this folder? Is it some kind of backup?
I'm using XP home.

Thanks!
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Phillipste » Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:44 am

XP has the ability to roll back drivers. Lets say you install the newest NVidia drivers and they are less stable or your favorite game doesn't work. XP allows you to roll back to the prior drivers. Those are the files in lastgood.

My OPINION is that unless you are tight on disk space do not delete them. They may save your butt.

However, if you are sure the new drivers are working or you have access to the old one, you can probably delete them. I would think XP has an automated way that would be safer. I will try to check tonight.
ANTEC SX1040b case,ASUS A7V333,AMD Athlon XP 2200+ ,Thermaltake Volcano 9
512mb Corsair PC2100,120 GB WD w 8mb Cache,GAIDWARD Geforce4 TI4600,NEC Multisynch A500
Phillipste
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jmstacey » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:00 pm

And one more thing.
I got a message that there was a critical update for me to download. I downloaded it and it installed but it installed a program it seems. XML parser or something. Why do I need this? It seemed like just a big help file on a core product that I don't/never had.
Thanks!
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:41 pm

XML parser is Java stuff. Are you downloading the updates from Microsoft direct ly or from cnet? I'd go with the direct download as cnet and zdnet have a tendency to include stuff that you don't really need and call it a critical update. :roll:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jmstacey » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:01 am

It was direct from microsoft. got the little balloon on the bottom right hand of my screen.
-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:42 pm

The last good folder is where the NT kernal stores information about the last time the sytem successfully started up. If the boot fails for any reason ( i.e. bad drivers, etc.) then you can revert back to the last known good configuration. As with any system files, it is not a good idea to delete them unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Operating Systems