Whats your specialties?

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby netaces2k » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:42 pm

I know what y'all mean...

I remember (back in the day...) when I had to (that's not exactly right, it was REQUIRED!) create a display template on a grid sheet...

And then it could be coded. The same rules applied for printed output (reports, etc).

My first taste of computational progress was a visit to my fathers work place. He gave me a tour of the 'compyter facility'. Which included the card reader (remember these?), the card punch (what a concept...), and the band printer.

He started working on the computer back in 1955. He did it to gain extra credit in colledge. Not that he needed it...

He taught me alot about the computer and what they could be used for.

It seems in hindsight, that the 'field' as you put it, has come almost full circle from those days.

I mean, we've got music, graphics, theory, science(s) and all sorts of things being studied on the computer.

The medical profession, the automotive profession, the heavy industries (rail, maritime, aviation, etc).

I don't know if my father would have ever though the computer would become involved in so much of our lives, or even everyday life.

Shipping, mail order, retail sales... Who would've thought?...

But, it all boils down to one big thing. The programmers.

None of this happens without a programmer...
netaces2k

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:18 am

Computers are not very smart 'all by themselves', programming is what makes them fun (and, depending on how well the programming considered 100% of the possibilities - annoying... BSOD is a way to know that somebody failed to consider something that just happened...).

My earliest professional programming was in BAL Assembler on Mainframes for Financial applications, in a 'charge-back' environment - but we couldn't charge back for dumps - so we had to anticipate anything that might lead to one and shut down with a concise message that COULD be charged back (since it was usually a problem with some manner of input, which often was the customer's fault). An error message isn't worth much if it does not indicate what was wrong and how to recover.

MR_ED, go ahead and start a new topic for any questions - and I'm sure that they will be dealt with respectfully and possibly with substantial insight... :wink:

Tom
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 pm

I remember using Basic and Assembly back in the day, but I'll be damned if I remember how to now. Did some batch programming for DOS alot.
Visual Basic and Delphi in High School. Some java was in there aswell.
Very basic C++ programming and some SQL query scripting in College.
Mostly I've programmed in HTML, and some offshoots like DHTML and CSS. Also done some Linux shell scripts...
Prolly forgeting a few of them...

I don't really like programming though...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

jack of all trades

Postby tryn » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:00 pm

I'm in the last semester of a two year degree in computer programming.

Languages:
PERL
PHP (my favorite)
HTML (hard code and using editors like Dreamweaver)
CSS
Flash
Actionscript for Flash (too cool!)
SQL (practice with Oracle and MySql)
Visual Basic (versions 6 and .NET)
Java (wanting to learn more)
DOS (basic commands)
UNIX (basic shell commands)
Javascript
Lotus script (UGH! Only due to necessity, not desire)

I've had a good introduction to most of the languages above. I consider myself an advanced beginner in the object oriented languages. I'm fairly solid on the web side of things with HTML, PHP, CSS, and SQL. I really want to tackle some more advanced Java.

Ask away, I won't pretend to be an expert, but I love to chime in with my two cents worth!

tryn
tryn
Initiate
Initiate

Previous

Return to Programming