an erased bios????????

Moderator: The Mod Squad

an erased bios????????

Postby mjs355 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:40 pm

I recently was looking at some old floppy disks and noticed a program: flash817.exe. I clicked it on to see what it was, then exited by hitting alt-x.
I did a few other things with the computer, then restarted it. NOTHING, except an annoying continuous beeping. It's an old system, I don't even know the motherboard, but it is a AMD k6, with an Award bios. Have I erased the bios?????????? Can it be fixed??
mjs355

Postby Toby B. » Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:40 am

What has apparently happened was you started the flashing process. We are going to have to determine what board you have to find the correct file to get your board fixed...

Info we will need for ID purposes:

CPU type: Socket 7
Form factor: (Atx, AT, baby AT, etc.)
layout of the board: (# of slots - ISA, PCI, AGP, etc)
Chipset:
Any writing on the board (including stickers):
BIOS string: Out of the question as this board is not functioning

Toby
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:20 am

then restarted it. NOTHING, except an annoying continuous beeping.

We are going to have to determine what board you have to find the correct file to get your board fixed...

No good finding a bios update for it Toby if the board is not booting, how are you going to run the flash program if the board won't boot to a floppy?

The first thing to try here is to clear CMOS by jumper. Remove the motherboard battery and then short the clear CMOS jumper for 10 minutes or so. Return the jumper to the "normal" position, refit the battery and then try to boot the system. If the system boots enter the bios, load setup defaults, save your changes and exit.

If this fails you will most likely have to purchase a replacement bios chip for the board or have the original chip reprogrammed by somebody with an eprom burner.

Aussie
Last edited by Aussie on Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:37 am

No good finding a bios update for it Toby if the board is not booting, how are you going to run the flash program if the board won't boot to a floppy?
Well Aussie, A correct ID will enable us/you to find the correct information about the board...........

the bios update was mentioned due to the fact that places like www.badflash.com requires access to a correct BIOS file to be downloaded. So that is why it was mentioned. I should have been more descriptive in my original response to this post.....

Toby
Compaq-Fu Master
Other sites:
Hydrocephalus-Talk
DSL/Cable Webserver
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:50 pm

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to BIOS