Copy-Proof CD's Cracked!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Copy-Proof CD's Cracked!

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 12:38 pm

http://www.coolcomputing.com/article.ph ... ad&order=0 that's the most technical method of hacking protection i've ever seen, the people who did this must be geniuses.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 12:42 pm

thats just wrong, and posting about is even worse. your supporting the bad people who steal from the very mouths of the music artist we all love so much.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 12:47 pm

It is news. It's probably on CBS tonight anyways, why not read about it instead? I don't condone doing it, but it is interesting how such an elaborate protection scheme was fixed with a rather simple method of writing on the CD. I don't think many people would do this, as you could damage the CD, but if you want a backup of your CD, or to load your songs in your favorite WinAmp playlist, this would be how you'd get the music.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 1:03 pm

By posting it you spreading the information of how to cheat Sony out of millions of dollars in revenues. And it is very doubtful that this will be one any news worthy station.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Fri May 24, 2002 2:44 pm

well this story is originally from Rueters. I think that is pretty widespread.

This article is actually quite humerous. I wonder how much money they spent developing this copy-protection scheme.

Obviously not enough.

While I dont condone piracy of music I should be able to play my CD's on any cd-player I own.

And if we arent careful I might have to move this thread to the war zone!

8O
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 24, 2002 3:26 pm

You working for Sony now datektrader? :lol:

Protections and codes will always be cracked. It is always a matter of time and patience. The people who are doing the hacking and cracking have plenty of both.

I don't like the idea of the Corporations putting limitations on what I can play and on what system, so in that respect, I side with the crackers. On the other hand, not paying for music is not right as the people who create the music that we enjoy deserve payment for their endeavors. As long as the Music Companies charge insane prices for CD's and DVD's, the crackers will keep busy cracking it and distributing it freely on the pirate sites. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 4:06 pm

ooo a cushy job at Sony that would be nice 8) but no and actually it has been stated by the record companies that if songs were not pirated over the Internet and on street corners we would have CD prices around eight to nine dollars a CD. but since they are pirated by people like MR. Taylor and sold at schools and online. the CD prices will remain high. don't get me wrong though i don't like the fact that companies such as Sony try to restrict how you can play your music CDs. but you have to look at it from there stand point, its practically the only thing they can do to try to slow down the people who pirate CDs. take the new M&M CD, they have had to move the release date up because the CD is already out on the Internet. now is that really fair to them. the record industry loses millions of dollars a day to people who illegally copy and sell there CDs that's why they along with the movie industry go to such lengths as to trying to pas bills like the SCCA bill [which has now been abandoned for even stronger more hard-line bill, but more on that later] they are trying to protect there assets. which i can fully understand.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 4:30 pm

Such protections on CD's are never going to be guaranteed. Sony may have the engineers, but the computer public has the ingenuity of destructing these protections with mere modifications. As for crippling the market with internet sharing, 'piracy', this has never been proven. Revenues have still increased in large numbers for the recording industry and such distrust in the buyers to begin elaborate schemes of copy-protecting the CD is probably the reason the prices are so high. I say the hell with Sony, and as long as I have a cd-reader and writer, I can do whatever I please with the discs I buy.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 5:18 pm

and you are dead wrong :roll: you buy the physical CD which is simply a medium for transferring the music it contains much like the radio. just because you own a radio does not mean you own every station it brings to you. nor do you have the right to copy and reproduce the music sent out by the stations the same goes CDs you don't own the music they contain. you simply pay for the right nay the privilege of listen to the music for your own enjoyment and the enjoyment of those within earshot. reproducing CDs for sale is illegal and i would like to know where you are getting your so called revenue increases in the record industry. maybe as a whole they are rising but that's only because of record labels that produce music that is not as actively sot after by the public as others. but individual record labels like Sony and capital records that produce big name CDs, have been losing money ever since programs like napster became popular. this information comes directly from there market evaluation reports. and if certain bills pass, then companies like Sony will be able to guarantee the safety of there media. but lets just hope that does not happen [/code]
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Fri May 24, 2002 5:40 pm

it has been stated by the record companies that if songs were not pirated over the Internet and on street corners we would have CD prices around eight to nine dollars a CD

As I recall CDs have always been expensive, even before anyone ever dreamed of the Internet much less sites like Napster and Morpheus. It's the same reason that concert tickets are $50-100 or more...GREED.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War