Intel and AMD play chess

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Tolemac » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:34 pm

Johnny Mnemonic wrote:Stick a babel fish in your ear... :) and don't panic!

The trick to flying is trying to hit the ground.... but Miss!

Did you bring your towel, Johnny? If so, then I have a Pan Galatic Gargle Blaster waiting for you! :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby undying fenix » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:41 am

Its a shame i dont speak german, else I might like whats happening. :( :(
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:22 am

Len444 wrote:cute- but what exactly differentiates one cpu system from the other? is this a test of software/ cpu relationship?

You ever see the grandmaster chess tournaments where they have a clock timing each player? Each CPU gets the same time, and presumably the same algorithms. End result? The CPU that can work harder(more calculations), has more time to out think it's opponent and win.

It's all kinda moot since it was basically a tie, but we do know which system cost about 2/3rds the cost of the other... :lol: 8)
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:43 pm

The CPU that can work harder(more calculations), has more time to out think it's opponent and win.

the p4's appear to do sse2 (is this not an issue as is it specific to other app's?), which amd doesn't, and it looks like amd does something the p4 doesn't- so i figured it's cpu power like you say, and software related for utilization of that cpu power. i also noticed something about artificial intelligence on that web page, so that became a thought of starting out w/ somewhat equality, then learning from mistakes, and opponents moves to better antisipate advances (way over my head!)!?!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War