IBM Mobo Identification help

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

IBM Mobo Identification help

Postby DionM » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:37 am

Hi all,

I've got an IBM mobo, suits P4 only. Its from the Netvista 6792. I now know why I picked it up so cheap :cry: ... its hard finding info for it.

This is what its from:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.ws ... MIGR-39142

Details I can get:
FRU49p4384201
11549P42792J1LAB21T1HV

Takes SDRAM (PC133).

I'm most interested in the pin outs so I can connect a conventional case to it.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm in Australia, by the way, so its an AUS delivered board.
DionM
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:29 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:08 am

OEM version of the Intel D845HVL?

IBM 6792 system board.

Intel D845HVL.

Intel D845HVL.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-40973

Micro ATX

Socket 478

Intel 845 chip set (400MHz FSB)

Three 168-pin DIMM sockets (1.5GB Max)

1 AGP slot

3 PCI slots

Onboard ADI 1887 Audio

Onboard Intel 10/100 ethernet

National 87360 super I/O

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845hv/sb/CS-008815.htm

Maximum memory supported and number of USB ports appear to differ but otherwise the description is very similar to the IBM 6792 board.

Regardless the board appears to a standard Micro ATX and should therefore fit into a standard ATX or Micro ATX case.

This is the required I/O shield:-

The only other requirement for fitting the board into a standard case would be the front panel connectors. If the board is a D845HVL this image may help:-

D845HV quick reference guide:-

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845hv/qrg.pdf

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby DionM » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:41 pm

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if it was the D845HVL board (I had come across somewhere else suggesting that) but I couldn't even power it up without the front panel pinouts. The IBM info didn't seem to have that in the pdfs I downloaded, unless I missed it?

That front panel connector layout, which connector is that on the mobo though? I don't have any 16 way sockets, just one up the near the PCI slots that has 20 pins (and has bridges on it) and another up the front corner (near the speaker) that has a 30 way connector.
DionM
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:31 pm

hmm, one of those IBM specials again. I'll see what I can find.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby DionM » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:20 pm

According to the IBM doco the front panel connector is a flat, 8 pin connector up near the IDE drive connectors. Item '3' in the system board layout diagram.

I suppose I could just guess which one takes the power switch, can't hurt anything if all they are used for is reset button, power button, power LED and HDD LED (8 pin, 4 functions, 2 pins per function).
DionM
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: IBM Mobo Identification help

Postby garryg » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:25 pm

You may want to re-consider just connecting the power switch cable to the pins. If you happen to connect to the HDD or Pwr LED's it may cause damage. The power switch should only be a momentary contact closure, but it's hard to say for sure if it will cause damage. Is it worth the risk? Is it possible to measure voltages at the pins with the power supply switch on (not the power switch on the front)? If I remember correctly, the power switch pulls 5V to ground to start the computer.
:)
garryg
garryg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: IBM Mobo Identification help

Postby DionM » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:28 am

garryg wrote:You may want to re-consider just connecting the power switch cable to the pins. If you happen to connect to the HDD or Pwr LED's it may cause damage. The power switch should only be a momentary contact closure, but it's hard to say for sure if it will cause damage. Is it worth the risk? Is it possible to measure voltages at the pins with the power supply switch on (not the power switch on the front)? If I remember correctly, the power switch pulls 5V to ground to start the computer.
:)

I thought of that. But the LEDs (power and HDD) shouldn't be energised when its dead anyway, should it? I'll be "guessing" the power button contact only, so if I connect it to the LED contacts and press the button, nothing should happen as the board is off and I've tried to turn it on via the LED contacts.

If I get the power button guessed right, it should start up into life. Then I can check which pin has power on it for the LEDs, and work from there.

I'll whack my meter onto the pins to see which one has 5V with the board "off" (but AC connected to the power supply, obviously). Thanks for the heads up on which one is power.
DionM
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:08 am

If you get it to boot nd have found out which is which would you mind to post the info here? TIA.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum