tv out

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

tv out

Postby icdengineer » Wed May 22, 2002 11:47 am

Ok, here's a question, I have been looking at graphics cards and I was wondering what the term "Tv out" meant. If I have a monitor, why would I want to hook my computer to my TV? Is it the same thing as VIVO? thanks..
" Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberry"
icdengineer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed May 22, 2002 1:54 pm

TV_Out was first introduced for buisness mainly. You could hook it up to a projector and output the computer display to a larger TV monitor or some sort of projector (rather then people huttling around a small 14inch monitor).

Lately it is mainly used for DVDs and such. If you have a DVD player on your computer you can output the display and play it on your TV, might be larger then the monitor.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby icdengineer » Wed May 22, 2002 2:00 pm

so if
A) I already have a DVD player for my TV, and B)my pc is in a totally different room from my TV....then I really don't care if that is a feature on the graphics card I purchase anyway, right?
" Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberry"
icdengineer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jmstacey » Wed May 22, 2002 2:17 pm

Well.... My computer is on the second level of our house and I have a projection system in the basement (surround sound and all(very SWEET :D )) I hook up my computer using extensions through the floor the the projecto and then extensions for my controls (keyboard, mouse, ecetra) The projector displays the computer screen on the wall to a size of a little bigger than 8ft by 8ft. It's a beauty when you playing games. The people on the games are almost lifesize (some are bigger than).
You never know :wink:
-Jon-

By the way, I haven't been able to do that anymore :cry: because the graphics card fried. Oh well, another oppurtunity to get the latest bestess one out there :lol: (if i could afford it :( )
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby useless comment » Wed May 22, 2002 2:50 pm

TV out is also good if you want to make VHS copies of episodes of Doctor Who or Seinfeld or the Star Wars epic that you've downloaded from Kazaa. It's alot faster doing it that way rather than waiting a week for your comp to convert a divx to a videocd mpeg so you can burn it to a disk to play in the dvd player(with the odd chance that the audio cuts out halfway through the process anyway).
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to General