Keep makin' the Tualitin Celeron!!!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Thestonecutter » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:14 am

MoboCop wrote:I find it funny that people want Intel to burn. I wonder what the reason for that is? Do you realize what computers would be like without intel.

think about it.

Lets thank AMD for bringing the prices down to reasonable levels, but Intel is still king, and according to my experience makes a much more stable(and compatible) processor.

Nahhhh, have to disagree on that one!
I think AMD are king. No really i do!!
Yes computers would have AMD chips in them if there
was no Intel............
4 meg of RAM
512 k/b Vid Card
20 Meg HDD.............OH YEAH!!
Thestonecutter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aussie » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:34 am

was no Intel............

Yes and we would be paying the same price for them as we were for Intel processors before AMD became competitive.

I can recall times, not so long ago, that the latest and greatest processor from Intel cost just a little under AU$2000 here in Australia yet today they enter the market at under AU$1000.

That's still several hundred dollars more than I would pay for any processor of course, you've only got to look at the prices we pay in OZ to see why AMD is so popular here:-

http://www.gamedude.com.au/cpuG.html

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MoboCop » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:09 am

For a while now I have had an AMD 1800+ in my system (maybe 4-5 months). Before that I had an intel 1.2 or something like that.

My system worked wonderfully while the intel was in the house but since I moved to the AMD I have been experiencing intermittent problems.

From a total overheat to random lockups (hard reboot in winxp).

Now I am not certain that is the the CPU but fairly confident.

I am switching back to an intel 2.2 next week and I shall see if my suspicions are true or not.

I am not knocking AMD. They definately have made the CPU market a better place and make good products (especially for the price).

But I still think the intel processors are better(I did not say faster).
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Aussie » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:53 am

If you want the ultimate in compatability and stability buy an Intel processor, mount it on a genuine Intel motherboard and you'll get what you want. It may not be the fastest kit on the block though and you will certainly pay a premium for the priviledge.

AMD have come a long long way in the past few years and in my experience the stability and compatability of a well constructed AMD system will give an Intel system a good run for its money today.

I have often wondered just how much of this "instability and incompatability" is chipset related and has nothing to do with the processor?

VIA too has come a long long way in the past few years but I think that they still have a long way to go before they can match Intel in the chipset business.

Possibly a fair comparison of stability and compatability between Intel and AMD processors would be to run them both on non Intel chipsets?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:20 pm

was no Intel............

Actually if Intel didn't exist, neither would AMD. All Computers would be running on processors developped by IBM or some other company who based processors on thier design.
The early years of AMD up until the Super Socket 7 chips were all based on Intel's designs. They just modified it in some way and resold it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby undying fenix » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:44 am

Isnt it amazing that I just bought a celeron 1ghz with new motherboard because my old mboard was a horrible piece of dead crap that only had 1 32 bit pci slot when i need one for both my graphics card and my networking card (the mboard was so old it didnt have agp).
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War