Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby CDBurner » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:39 am

1. Forget to plug in the fan that sits on the CPU heatsink. One time when I did that, the board refused to boot because it detected that the fan wasn't spinning. On another board, I realized what I had done after a few seconds, so no damage was done.

2. Not plug the PSU connector into the mobo properly (I only did that one on the first machine I built). The machine worked for a few days, but eventually, the connector worked its way loose and the machine no longer worked. Again, no damage was done.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Grime » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:54 pm

Oh yeah... I almost forgot about the mother of all @#$! up's. Back in the day when I didn't know jack about computers I took my old pentium 66Mhz to get a CPU upgrade (166 I think was the upgrade... w00t!). They installed the chip alright, but neglected to change the voltage on the motherboard (or maybe they flipped the voltage on the power supply... it was something like that though). I kept getting weird errors when playing Doom II. I knew something was terribly wrong, but I couldn't figure it out. I just slowly watched my computer fry itself over about a month's time until it wouldn't boot anymore. Then I took it to a DIFFERENT shop, and replaced everything. The shop that I had the work done at threw there hands up in the air and said "Oops!" They gave some lame excuse like the guy that worked on it wasn't with the company anymore.
Windows XP Professional w/SP2
Abit IC7-MAX3
P4 2.6Ghz 800Mhz FSB w/HT
1gb Mushkin Level II PC4000
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
SB Audigy Gamer
2x WD Raptor 10k rpm SATA w/ RAID-0
Sony DRU530A DVD-RW+RW
Zalman CNPS 7000-cu CPU Cooler
Grime
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Thrustwyn » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:45 am

Back in the day, before I really knew what I was doing (and how Dell gimped everything of theirs to be non-compatible with standard parts), I wanted to upgrade my vid card in my Dell.

The new card required extra power, and the Dell only had a 250-W psu, so I thought, better replace the psu. Not knowing at the time that Dell doesn't (didn't) use standard connections, I just ran out and grabbed the first 350-W psu I found.

Then, before I even tried connecting the leads, I worked like a devil trying to just physically fit the thing into the case. The back of the case blocked portions of the psu (such as the plug), so I used a vise-grip to bend the "fudge" out of the back of the case, etc. After an hour of screwing around, I finally went to hook up the leads.... only to discover a non-match.

Took me another hour just to get the old psu back in, bending (and breaking off) parts of the case back into place. :cry:
Thrustwyn
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:22 pm

I'm missing the cabling department? Backwards, wrong cables, wrong ports etc? At least one of you must have killed a printer port or a SCSI port when both were using the 25pin subD connector and both parallel and SCSI scanners were around...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~Rob » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:27 pm

Nope, the scanner stopped itself from frying!! (I think)

I guess I'm too young for SCSI (how sad!!) but I did a little bit with it, and I hardly ever used to get the ribbon the wrong way!!!

I did get a shock off a AT PSU. When your Dad says "can you turn this on" and you grab the metal plate to push the button it gives you a shake!!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby CDBurner » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:48 pm

evasive wrote:I'm missing the cabling department? Backwards, wrong cables, wrong ports etc? At least one of you must have killed a printer port or a SCSI port when both were using the 25pin subD connector and both parallel and SCSI scanners were around...

Good point, I had forgotten about the several times when I plugged IDE cables in backwards. Thankfully, that's not harmful; the computers just refused to work until I plugged the cables in right. I've never dealt with SCSI, though.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby trexntx » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:19 pm

These are great. Shouldn't this be a sticky?

:)
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ~Rob » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:48 pm

I agree...

I don't know if it should stay here so noobies can see common mistakes, or if it should be moved to the water cooler so we can mock!?!?!?!?
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Twisty » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:20 am

How do you plug SDRAM in the wrong way round, I didn't think it would fit?

My main boo-boos tend to be screwing up MBR's and NTDLR's, right pain to fix.

Spent 4 hours getting Linux to recognise my SCSI adaptor, finally worked out the IRQ's were silkscreened on wrong, only to find the piece of crap SCSI drive couldnt read the installation files off the CDR.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tau » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:47 am

Plugged the speaker jack into the modem and spent an hour trying to figure out why no sound. Well both jacks were green :oops:
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support