i'm totally clueless- please help me out

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

i'm totally clueless- please help me out

Postby spoongirl » Mon May 20, 2002 4:58 pm

hey people!

i bought a Dell a few years ago, and gradually i've been growing out of it (few of the original components are left). it wasn't until i got a new case that i realized how non-standard Dell's motherboards are. I'd like to get a new mobo, but I want to keep my processor if possible (it's a Pentium III). the thing is, I don't really understand about what type of "Platform" i have- i know different mobos mount the processor in different ways and i'm concerned about making sure that i get the right kind. i'm pretty sure i need an ATX mobo.

this is a really cool website but it doens't seem to have very much basic info for somebody like me. are there any tutorials that could help me, or maybe could somebody explain to me how i can figure out the right type of board to get?

thanx in advance
(here's a link to specs of my machine, FYI)
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/specs.htm
~spoongirl =)
spoongirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon May 20, 2002 5:13 pm

Can you post your service tag? We are no longer able to login into the website without them.

The Model of Dell would be helpful aswell
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon May 20, 2002 5:24 pm

Actually do not worry about that. I was able to use the wayback machine and get information about the system.

Dell Dimension XPS Txxx and Txxxr Systems.

If you look at this document:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dkub/techovu.htm
(Click here if you don't have an account or have issues.)

The motherboard is a standard ATX design. And so is the case. Any new motherboard should fit in the case.
Some issues you may run into:

The back plane (the place where the printer port and serial connections stick out) may not work for all motherboards. You'll have to purchase a new back plane or find a motherboard that fits. Some motherboard come with new back planes but your may not be removable. There is also a chance the one on your case is able to be modified for other boards.

Next problem. Most dells have propriatary power supplys. You will most likely have to purchase a new one in order to put in a new system board.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

details

Postby spoongirl » Tue May 21, 2002 6:44 am

thanx for the response

yeah, i have the dimension xps t (i figured the link i mentioned would have all the info needed)

here's the thing- if possible, i'd like to get a mobo that i can plug the SECC2 unit into (this is the part that has the CPU and caches, heat sink). is this an improbable thing? i was under the impression this might be a non-standard configuration or something... there are multiple ways in which processors are mounted, right?

fyi, i already have a new *standard* power supply (came w/ my new case- of course, i can't use it, since the Dell board requires a proprietary power supply; it also has a weird floppy drive too and i can't hook up a regular floppy drive to it.) it's because of this Dell weirdness that i want to get a new motherboard.
~spoongirl =)
spoongirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue May 21, 2002 4:26 pm

Yeah that floppy trouble was another thing I forgot to mention.
The SECC2 unit, or "duct", might be a problem. Best thing to do when looking at a replacement board is to try to find one with relatively the same CPU placement.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to General