Kazaa trojan

Help and Discussion

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Kazaa trojan

Postby missouri » Mon May 20, 2002 11:08 am

Saw this on another forum....
Anybody hear about the the newly discovered trojan hidden within Kazaa? It is a spyware type program installed when you install Kazza. Apparently it is supposed to wake up your computer sometime within the next few weeks and become a parallel network along with all of the other millions of computers around the world that will wake up at the same time. From what I've heard you can uninstall it from add/remove programs. It goes by the name b3d.

The trojan turns your system into a server and uses free space on your hard drive to store data and exchange information among others on the network, or others that are infected that connect to the internet internet. Basically Kazaa would be generating more business for themselves and doing it by using your computer for free
can you get this off and still use kazaa/ How do you remove the trojan
No...kazaa will not function without the spyware program installed, at least it wouldn't for me.

Options:
Kazaa Lite ...someone removed the spyware and figured out how to make it work.
or
I just read that the new WinMX version is spyware free. Haven't checked it out first hand though, so be wary.

Orginal article ....HERE
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon May 20, 2002 1:05 pm

Its not a trojan.

A company that handles the advertising put the code in the program to do parallel computing tasks WITH the users permission.
Its like SETI.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby missouri » Mon May 20, 2002 1:55 pm

Correct...but feedback shows very few people even know it's there....I prefer not to have it in my system.....I just pasted some other people's posts for general info... :D
missouri
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon May 20, 2002 5:52 pm

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Virus/Spyware/Security