best Os

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

best operating system

Poll ended at Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:53 pm

windows 95
No votes
windows 98
6%
windows 98se
22%
windows 2000
6%
windows Me
3%
windows Xp
50%
Linux
13%

Total votes : 32

Postby MoboCop » Tue May 14, 2002 2:32 pm

I had to upgrade my ATI Radeon Drivers to get Jedi knight outcast to work. Great game by the way. The lightsaber fighting and force powers are mucho fun.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby evasive » Wed May 15, 2002 11:23 pm

for now windows 2000. why? legacy apps and seen too much trouble installing XP (two out of five went without a manual reboot in between because the install choked on something). Various systems ranging from a P2-233 to a P4-1.6GHz/XP1800+, both Intel and VIA chipset-based.

Most of the systems I install are networked/connected to the internet, so the uPnP flaw was a major upset...

ofcourse you need to install more drivers and chipset patches in win2k that XP already has built-in.

Waiting for Service Pack 1 and more and better driver support.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aibohphobia » Thu May 16, 2002 1:38 am

So, from all of the information gathered here, I come to this conclusion:

Linux is the Windows-killer. Linux is just one of those cool OS's that in every way blows all M$ away when it comes to stability and multi-tasking and everything technical! Of course not everyone can use and understand Linux that fast. And does Linux even have support for most of Windows' programs yet? I like linux, linux is fun to play around with as it is so different and most of all, free; however COMPATIBILITY is an issue, so in that respect it can't directly contend with M$ .

WinXP is the most well-rounded OS, with many features that make it easier, more flexible, and customizable. Installation is fast--when it works right--, and plug-and-play is easy. Now game support is stronger than its initial release, and drivers have become top-notch. However from research, I still find the benchmarking results of Windows XP being 5-20% lower in 3d games than Windows 98SE--whether this is a driver issue or whatnot, gaming just lags a bit behind in that, but hey, that's okay as now with all these new video cards and games, 10-20 percent is no visual problemo. Hopefully SP-1, when it comes out in September, will fix all these issues. 8)

Win2k is the basis for XP, and it being before, lacks some of the fixes that come in XP out-of-the-box. Win2k doesn't run all games, as it's not made to be for that. Win2k is for the business and professionals mainly. If XP doesn't work for you, and you're not going to be in to 3d, try 2k. It's less customizable and a bit more basic, and has tons of bugs, but after the hours of updating it works fine.

Windows 98SE is as refined as the 9x kernel got; very stable, but mostly basic in comparison to the newer ones. In benchmarking, this one normally wins in the 3d games, usually by 5-20% difference in FPS in comparison to the NT's. Everything runs on 98SE that wouldn't on XP or 2000. :P

Win95, 98, and ME are the WORST OS's. This I 100% agree with, as they are simply mediocre and don't perform well--and crash. ME is probably the biggest POS ever made by M$, no doubt about that :lol: .
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby chmod » Thu May 16, 2002 3:52 pm

I have heard linux is great for a server or and advanced compute user who can take advantage of all of its power. However I prefer Windoes XP Professional. It is faster than windows 2000 professional. I have also heard that linux is good for hacking. :lol:
chmod
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Thu May 16, 2002 8:45 pm

hehehe yeah isn't linux the least secure of them all? i also heard that it's the easiest to make a virus with :D
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jmstacey » Fri May 17, 2002 11:42 am

I had to go with ME because thats what I'm using now. I also have a computer running XP, but I still like ME better for some reason. Probably because I'm having to mess around with XP to find patches for games and all and on my ME system I install it, and have fun.
Oh well :roll:
Thats just my opinion :wink:
-Jon-

I'll probably change my mind in a few months if XP starts to work more smoothly for me.
Last edited by jmstacey on Mon May 20, 2002 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby BittaBrotha » Mon May 20, 2002 1:54 am

Peter Taylor wrote:hehehe yeah isn't linux the least secure of them all? i also heard that it's the easiest to make a virus with :D

I think linux have maybe less then 20 viruses. In the 3 or so yrs I've been using it, I've neva had a virus scanner for it and neva gotten a virus.

I thought linux was much more secure also! But I'm sure all OSes have some security holes in them.
WinCE, WinME, & WinNT
What does it spell?
CEMENT, guaranteed to weigh you down!
BittaBrotha
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed May 22, 2002 6:40 pm

I hate to vote for XP over Linux, but it is has better industry support. Linux is more secure and flexible than anything Microsoft has ever dreamed of. When more hardware manufacturers make Linux drivers available and when more applications are available, then Microsoft will have its hands full. Especially considering the price. Can you say free download?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed May 22, 2002 7:01 pm

hehehe yeah isn't linux the least secure of them all? i also heard that it's the easiest to make a virus with

Windows 95 is the least secure of them all. It was so buggy, espcially the whole OOB thing.
Linux is the most secure of them all and has the least virus' created for it. And the ones that do exist are mostly worms, pretty lame virus'. And Linux is the # one virus for creating them.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 5:53 pm

Oh okay, I thought that Linux was the least secure, but maybe that was years ago. As there is no Linux 98 or Linux 2002 it's always upgrading
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War