Linux , Windows , Mac OS ???

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Linux , Windows , Mac OS ???

Postby dademurphy31 » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:05 am

Looking for an OS to run on a portable case unit. (see post in recomendations forum "what mobo shuld i get?") mostly for info processing and must be compatabel with industry standerds. looking for a powerfull Stebal OS.

I figured you braggers would know the best of the best.
thanks
Listen to Montag
dademurphy31
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Zero » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:04 pm

Stick witth windows mac and linux arent campatible with alot of things
ya i know i suck at typing
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:31 pm

Linux is perfectly capable of being a stable OS, but its better on older hardware...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MicrowavedWater » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:20 pm

Dont make me break out my "Why Mac's are so much better than Win" list...

but, there are things besides compatiblity to consider...

Mac, esp. OS X, is BY FAR more stable than any other OS.
If, compatiblity is a prob, they have this thing called VIRTUAL PC...

My Mac system, OS 9.2, HAS NEVER CRASHED, and if it did, all i would have to do is put in the system disk and start up from that... it would virtually fix itself.

BUT, compatibility is a big issue, so why dont u go with most ppl and get windows.

Micro
:roll:
Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum, AMD athlon XP 2100+, Geforce3 Ti500, Western Digital 40GB 7200 RPM, Lite-on 16x DVD, Lite-on 40x12x48 CD-RW, *NEW* 400 watt power supply, AND a ahanix Platinum Xp case... :)
MicrowavedWater
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:36 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:Linux is perfectly capable of being a stable OS, but its better on older hardware...

And it's getting better every day :!: I'm using an ATI Radeon 8500LE in my machine right now (running SuSE Linux 8.0) The only thing with it is I don't have 3D support yet. It's only a matter of time. And it's an EXTREMELY stable OS - more stable than ANY other OS I have ever used. And yes, I've used Macs

Linux, Linux, LINUX :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:51 pm

I've crashed every single Mac I have touched...though I have never seen OSX...And I am itching to give it a shot.
I've even crashed Mac's by walking people over the phone to get connected to the internet.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jeffa469 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:43 pm

MACs Crash, yes it's a dirly little secret that no MAC user want's to admit to. OSX is revolutionary(for a MAC OS) in having Memory Protection, that's right, if an App tries to grab some memory that's already in use, OSX will stop it. Of course PC OS's have offered this Forever, every time you see the old "Page Fault in ....." it's just stopping a an App from really borking things up. MAC programs have required much better Code, because an errant Program could really mess things up. The fact that Windows offers it, caused some pretty sloppy programing to be released.
In the end we need both Good Code and Memory protection and that's where both Camps are right now. The only thing left now is for Apple to give up Hardware Production and Port the OS to the PC platform. Linux, good as it is, will remain in the background untill someone finds a way to Profit from it. As an Open Source OS, improvements must be shared and the chance of making money is Much diminished. Human greed explains why we have Microsoft, everyone want's to get Paid for their Creations and Bill has Paid his best employees pretty well(though still a fraction of his take) and has bought out many Ideas he thought were good.
Microsoft tried to Dominate the OS part of the market and suceeded.
Apple tried to Dominate the OS, and the Hardware part(not allowing anyone to build a MAC PC but Apple) and Failed.No it's not Dead Yet, it's death will be drawn out, maybe 5 years away.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Zero » Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:52 pm

it will die more like 3 yeard away :D
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby undying fenix » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:06 am

It kind of depends on what you want to do. If you want to blow up your computer and make it look like crap, put on Mac. If you are planning on playing games and using the system, use windows. If you are planning on hacking (hah!) then use linux. Have fun. 8) 8)
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Zero » Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:04 pm

exactly wat fenix said
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War