Copy-Proof CD's Cracked!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby lyzar » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:14 pm

Hey nobody harped on Robin Hood for stealing from the rich did they =)

My biggest problem with what they did was they took the media and made it not work in some cd players. Imagine buying a new cd for 12-20 bucks and putting it in your car stereo and having it not work. Now that it's open you can't take it back. Sure they put a small label on the new cd that says it has this protection and can't be played in some media players but it doesn't say which ones. To clarify my point the news article that I read about it said that the new cd's wouldn't work in some regular cd players not just cd-rom players in computers so I'm not just assuming this point.

Sure I can choose not to buy every new cd produced by Sony and not risk it not playing but how stupid is that? They sell a disk damn well better atleast play.

As for downloading songs music was meant to be enjoyed and I could never have the collection of songs I wanted if I paid for every single cd I wanted. I buy cd's with more than 4 songs regularly cause burning them is a b**** sometimes. But most artist only have 2 hits on an album and the rest is crap and they still get to charge 15 bucks for their cd.

I side with the folks that think the singers are not starving nor are the Sony execs, copying to sell is bad, Sony and other labels should find a better way to harness this new distribution media (I would pay 3 bucks a song to download it legit from a fast server knowing it was a good copy with no hicups or glitches at the same time giving props to the people who developed the music).

As for software piracy Microsoft makes their revenue off big corporations who buy thousands of licenses and have to records of these licenses and from PC vendors like Dell and Gateway. The average Joe Blow who buys a legit upgrade for his home pc I'm sure is a very small piece of their pie. Games on the other hand do rely heavily on Joe Blow so I personally choose to at most try a game I download. I have bought 3 or 4 games recently after trying downloaded version (ghost recon/desert siege, unreal tournament, and grand theft auto 2). I've never downloaded any song or software and sold a copy of it.

It will be interesting to see where the future takes us and what will happen in the end.

On the devils advocate side I might ask this question:
How would you explain to a 6 year old that downloading music/software from the internet is not stealing but that taking a cd from the store is.

I'm sure there are some creative answers to that one and I for one wouldn't mind hearing Disney's Robin Hood's take on it....maybe I'll go download his movie off Kazaa....I'm out!
lyzar
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Etienne the Destroyer » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:26 pm

Great thread, good reading. I've personally dwn loaded mp3's that would be considered pirating, but this has been said b4 the price the music industry charges is way over inflated and thus my meger few mp3's that I have dwn loaded only turned into revenue as I've then bought the CD if I liked what I hear, so getting music off the internet "free" has only been benificial to the music industry as I've then bought what I liked. Yes the radio could have been a good medium, but I hate commercials.
Bob said it right, "Everyting gonna be irey".

Jah Bless
Etienne the Destroyer
Initiate
Initiate

Postby bishop01 » Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:24 pm

Seems to me that if the big guns don't want the music backed up or copied they should not make it available on a medium that can be copied. They should go back to vinyl. Then take it off the radio stations too and tv also. Then have the "artists" do nothing but live performances. That way they could have it all to themselves and the artists could actually go to work and earn their daily bread like the rest of us. Poor babies, they might have to give up their 10million dollar houses and stuff.
bishop01
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Etienne the Destroyer » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:06 am

bishop01 wrote:Seems to me that if the big guns don't want the music backed up or copied they should not make it available on a medium that can be copied. They should go back to vinyl. Then take it off the radio stations too and tv also. Then have the "artists" do nothing but live performances. That way they could have it all to themselves and the artists could actually go to work and earn their daily bread like the rest of us. Poor babies, they might have to give up their 10million dollar houses and stuff.
Well Said, Bishop. I remem the days whe artists were artists, and music was art, but hey its kinda like pro sports, a big money machine that churns and could care less about the game/art only money.
Bob said it right, "Everyting gonna be irey".

Jah Bless
Etienne the Destroyer
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:06 am

The problem with the point above is that all music media has to be channeled through some input/output device. Every CD player has a headphone jack, every home receiver has output RCA jacks. Basically if you can hear it or see it, there is little that can be done to prevent copying one way or another.

Any attempts at prevention of piracy really just lowers the quality of the bootleg. Games without the CD soundtrack, music with a higher noise to signal ratio than store bought, Movies with flickering pictures or substandard audio tracks.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gillette » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:32 pm

Remember how badly we got ripped off when CD's first came out. Screw anybody that sympathizes with the music industry. If CD's were cheaper from the begining this problem could have been adverted. If they cost less it would make more sense to buy the original then to download it. And honestly, most of the time there's usually only a handful of really good songs on the disk anyways. Who wants to pay the amount they ask for when you know there's only a few good songs. They should come up with ideas like selling super cheap cd's that contain fewer but quality songs. I can be open minded but come on people, we are talking about multi-millionaires.
gillette
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Zero » Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:55 am

well if you guys are going to download mp3 better checkout www.dslreports.com
kazaa imesh morphesu and the other large corporate programs have just signed a contract to the music and movie industry to give them permission to mointor wat you download......
ya i know i suck at typing
Zero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Dano » Sun Aug 11, 2002 8:18 pm

I think that MP3's will win out over the big record companys, but their has to be a better way to download them. sure you can go to peer to peer downloading programs like kazaa and others, untill you find out that they are overflowing with every kind of spyware imaginable ( I know kazaa has a few from experiance) and the ones that are not, like napster and morpheus you have to pay for.

I love the idea of have cheaper cd's with less tracks but hit songs.
Dano
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Thestonecutter » Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:15 pm

I like the idea of downloading songs for a fee, but there again
they can keep tabs on you that way alot easier than
if you go and buy the CD, so yes a CD with a few hit songs
on them is definately the way to go. But you are still going
to get the people who will still download it free, regardless
of wether you have Cd's with only a few songs on them!

Seems it will be an extreme long way off before this
gets resolved to keep everyone happy.

:D
4 meg of RAM
512 k/b Vid Card
20 Meg HDD.............OH YEAH!!
Thestonecutter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby undying fenix » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:17 am

This is alway going to keep happening and you may as well get used to it because more and more people are doing it. if downloading songs for free off the net is illegal, should taping them from the radio be too? anyway, who the hell is going to enforce it by coming to every house saying "Yes, urm. Do you have any illegally downloaded songs or burned cds?" And who the hell would turn around and say,"Why yes, officer, I do burn cds illegally, but please dont take me in for it."
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War