Burn in.....

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Burn in.....

Postby steve6787 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:16 am

First of all, Hearts and & Prayers to Joshs family.....

What do you guys think about this:

I know many us(including myself) build pcs for other people. What if we folded one work unit on the pc being built as the burn-in test. Not only to help our team out, but with it working the cpu, you should be able to see if there is any problems. Then after the fold is complete, you can take the program off and send to the user! You could also use a free internet service like Juno(offers free internet for 10 hours a month for dial up)to send the WU in. Would be any easy way to test the machine I would think!
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Southwind25 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:01 am

I think it's a great idea. In fact it has beeb discussed a little bit before. I'm not sure which tread it was in. I have done it on a couple of my builds already that were my standard gaming machine configuration where I could just install a harddrive I have set up with the drivers matching the machine, then put a fresh drive in for delivery. The way you suggested would work as well. I've thought about pointing out the benefit of using folding to burn in a machine to posters when we reply in the tech and recommendation forum, but I'm not sure how the Mod's feel about it.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:54 pm

good idea...it's what i do here. the only prob is the turn around time... if you don't have enought time to complete a WU then it's not going to be credited. (not that you didn't gain anything from the stress test though).

all i'm saying is if you have a 'rush job' then folding prolly wont' benifit the team but is a valid cpu stress test. but sure...but if you have the the time or "it will be done tomorrow" :wink: then yeah folding will benifit everyone! :D
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby steve6787 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:58 pm

all i'm saying is if you have a 'rush job' then folding prolly wont' benifit the team but is a valid cpu stress test. but sure...but if you have the the time or "it will be done tomorrow" then yeah folding will benifit everyone!

:P Well, I would just have to make time for the unit to complete!!!! :lol:

I've thought about pointing out the benefit of using folding to burn in a machine to posters when we reply in the tech and recommendation forum, but I'm not sure how the Mod's feel about it.

What are you thoughts on this Evasive???
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:13 pm

I don't know about the official word on this, but it's an excellent idea.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:33 pm

Have played with the thought. I think you can actually combine two things here. By sending the WU in under the name of joshvee...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Southwind25 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:35 pm

That's a great idea Edwin!!
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team