4.00 beta "pre-release" client available..

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:52 am

not much speed change. there are some features added. for linux distros, it'll now work w/ the newer glibc libraries above 2.3.1 (but still is problematic w/ at least 1 glibc library). if you've run relatively trouble free so far, there probably isn't much of a benefit. if you have an 8 cpu server, or want to run the newer linux distros, then it might be. i was apprehensive at first, but now have the v4.00 installed on all my linux based comps, and seems to run ok so far. it might be best to wait, unless there is a specific feature that it has (that you need). here's the changelog:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... hanges.txt

the biggest point of confusion will probably come from redefining -forceasm flag to mean 3dnow!+ optimizations, and -forceSSE to mean sse optimizations w/ AMD cpu's. i think -forceasm still means sse optimizations w/ p4 cpu's though. :?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:18 pm

right lenn...both pretty much work with intels. i run all the switches though.. AMD's MUST run the -forceSSE to get the sse boost...otherwize you just get the 3DNOW! boost, and from what i've read, i guess that's really not that great. ya want to tap into the SSE!
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby len444 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:38 pm

i just found out that the ask before send setting now works in linux console. i just checked on one of my comps, and it was waiting for a c (connect) key press command to send the wu in. it was sitting idle for ~7hrs :o but i had to test, and verify if the setting would work or not! great for setting up a comp for maintenance after crunching is completed. instead of pressing c to connect, close the console, and restart w/ the -send all flag.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:07 pm

There is a speed boost yes; but you don't see it all the time.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team