Folding increases CPU Temp

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:21 am

It continues to amaze me that nobody ever asks what the ambient temperature is whenever somebody posts about a suspected high CPU temp.

yeah, 100% correct- so what is the ambient temp (room temp outside the case), and case temp as well?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby triggerhappy41 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:15 pm

Sorry about that everyone. Ill remember to say the ambient next time.

Ambient = 25 degrees
Case = 26 degrees (probably cuz of my big 120 mm fan in the front muhahahahahah)
PSU = 40 degrees
CPU = 52 Degrees

Now, mind you, All these temps are with F@H running with full processor usage. And as a side note, my case temp almost always remains around 26 now that I got a bunch of case fans. It USED to be 33ish. So, one can conlude that the case itself is very well cooled. The processor heatsink/fan is most likely not good enough, and it will soon be replaced by a volcano 7+ as recommended by Tolemac.

Since Tulatin said that these temps arent bad for the cpu, i will continue to run F@H during idle.

P.S. People, my initial question was if the temp was safe for running Folding. I assure you i have PLENTY of case fans. The issue is CPU temp.
CPU=AMD Athlon X2 3800+
RAM=Corsair XMS DDR400 1GB 2-3-3-6 Timings
MOBO=ASUS A8N-E
VID=EVGA GeForce 7950GT
HDD=74GB WD Raptor
triggerhappy41
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:37 pm

P4s will run over 50 at load on stock cooling, especially when overclocked. As to athlon's running hot, that's to be expected.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Southwind25 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:28 pm

Tulatin wrote:P4s will run over 50 at load on stock cooling, especially when overclocked. As to athlon's running hot, that's to be expected.

I've been watching a couple of my AMD machines for a day since this post. One is a 1700+ overclocked to over 1800 mhz's on retail cooling and it's never went over 49 deg C. while folding 24/7. The other is a Barton 2500+ running at 2200 mhz's on retail cooling and it's never went over 43 deg C. The AMD overheating idea is more myth than fact. When properly set up they maintain much the same temps as Intel systems do.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:58 pm

Aussie wrote:
It continues to amaze me that nobody ever asks what the ambient temperature is whenever somebody posts about a suspected high CPU temp. As soon as somebody says their CPU is running at over 50 degrees they are told that it is too hot but if it's 40 degrees in the shade out side then a 50 degree CPU temp is pretty bloody amazing isn't it?

Aussie

Just as amazing is that nobody ever explains what type of equipment they are actually using to MEASURE the temps and what methods of gainning this data that everyone holds as gospel.

so...whatchal using? digi docs or simular.... where are the probs...or maybe some are using raytec's :lol:
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:45 pm

Check the wattage on your chip in sandra len. And maybe the "myth" of AMD's running MUCH hotter than p4s was due to the crappy retail sinks amd initially sold.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:37 pm

budget CPU, so you get budget HSF and budget chipset. and usually those are cr*ppy in the beginning.

The processor is good, it's the stuff around it that spoils its reputation...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team