The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:38 am 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

ok, i recieved a fic am37 back from rma, and have a new amd athlon xp 2100+, and a new stick of 256meg ddr pc2100 (266mhz- crucial) ram installed. the am37 has integrated video, and lan.

symptoms: it's folding very slow. i have an athlon xp 1500+ system that is working on the same tinker #692 wu, and is getting just under 10min/ frame. the new build is getting about 30min/ frame. i am not sure what is the cause of this?!? when i first booted the new build up, it was taking extremely long during the initial boot up. the pc2100 ddr ram was autodetected at 100mhz, which i then switched to manual, and 133 mhz. i suspect the ram, but somehow suspect either the motherboard, or cpu is not right. another thought is i didn't align the cpu correctly during install, though it does id it correctly as an athlon xp 2100+.

anyone run into something like this before? i'll swap out cpu, and ram w/ some known good ones. i suspect the ram, due to incorrect speed detection, but i also have a feeling it's the am37 mb.

not sure if this is better placed in the tech forum, though it was determined by comparing wu frame rates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:45 am 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

switched the ram to the second mem slot, and reseated the cpu (orientation ok). ram is very snug and this time i removed, and reseated the module. wu frame rates are more in line at ~7.5 min/ frame, but the initial boot up is still way too slow. not sure about this :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:26 pm 
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

i don't think it's your machine really though cause my home boxes are folding WICKED slow like you've noticed. mine too are like 20-30 min a frame [step]. sux....

you should test performance on a more acurate [stable if ya will] benchmark than folding (although you'd lack a base line). it could be the ram as you did say the speed was not right but i've found that the more powerful a computer is, the longer it takes to actually boot. ever boot a Sun Enterprise (32 cpu's) connected to a EMC storage box (700gig)? that thing takes over a 1/2 hour to get up to speed! 8O it's crazy!

Default_Dave's STATS! Team #33258

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:44 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

WD harddisk by any chance? Set for master when it should be set for single drive because it's the only device on the cable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:11 pm 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

evasive wrote:
WD harddisk by any chance? Set for master when it should be set for single drive because it's the only device on the cable?

that is absolutely correct evasive! single hdd, on it's own ide cable, and set to master.:oops:

thanks for catching this!

just reset it, and it boots normally now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:30 pm 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

reseated the ram back in the first memory slot, and so far, the benchmark figure looks about right (stock athlon xp 2100+ on fic am37 mb). benchmarked 1388. this is about where my OC'd 1800+ at 2200+ bench marks. my athlon xp 1500+ OC'd to 1600+ benchmarks at about 1120. it benchmarked at about 1170 when i had it at 1700+. i dropped it back to 1600+ when i got a bunch of partially completed wu's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:49 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

So is it folding normall now man? And if not, maybe a crap work unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:56 pm 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Tulatin wrote:
So is it folding normall now man? And if not, maybe a crap work unit.

folding normally- it's the same wu. only reseating the ram, and adusting the western digital jumper setting were the variable (wu was the same- a constant). works ok now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:57 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Ah. Good to hear. Odd how changing two little things can make a MAJOR diff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:16 pm 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

sometimes stopping, and starting the client will help things. but there might be a problem w/ these tinker wu's, as there is an issue of the "core" still running even when folding has been stopped. one thing that might help, is to stop folding, and go to the directory where folding is, and delete fahcore_65.exe. when folding is then started, it'll download a new core.