Is this within MAX operating Temps?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is this within MAX operating Temps?

Postby jonathanphang » Fri May 10, 2002 3:01 am

Hey People!

Can anyone tell me what the max operating temp is for an athlonxp 1800? Thing is, i just got a gf4ti4400 and with that oc, its sending my temps way high!! I'm almost reaching 50 after playing for ages. Thats on default 133 fsb as well. I could get the cpu temp lower, but i cant stand the whine of the delta that came on my globalwin cakII38.

I just want to know what is the point where it becomes dangerous to the cpu. i went through the phase when i wanted the coolest cpu, but now i just want to have a quiet-ish o/c comp. I heard 60c is the max, so is edging 50c ok?

Cheers Peeps
jonathanphang
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 10, 2002 9:01 am

55*C is my stop point. If your temps stay below that mark, then you should have no problems. If the CPU runs above that mark for extended periods of time, you are looking at reducing the life span of the CPU.

Are you using Arctic Silver III or II thermal paste? If not, get some immediately, as there is no better paste made. I'd also recommend the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ as it is a far superior heatsink with a quieter fan. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby DTanner » Fri May 10, 2002 10:20 am

well I went to the AMD conferance in Hartford CT and I asked the guys from AMD the same question. Thier answer seems a little insane. they say the core can reach 95 C before it melts down. I have had my processors up to 53 C and it started to act a little funny I would stay with the other reccommendation of 55 C as a stopping point why push it it will only cost you money!!!
DTanner
Initiate
Initiate

Postby jonathanphang » Fri May 10, 2002 11:21 am

Hey Peeps

Cheers for the info. I just needed it cos to be honest, I overclock, but I have it clocked enough to play my games wickedly without needing all the noise that comes with mega-cooling.

If its ok at that temp, i'll leave it. I'll probably put some as3 on tho, to see what diff it makes. i wouldnt mind getting a v7+ but i suppose i dont reall need to...

Cheers Again

JonnyP
jonathanphang
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks