Peanya and Folding

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Peanya and Folding

Postby Peanya » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:18 pm

Ok, many have asked me to join the folding team already, so I wanted to post my answer.
Most nights, I'm playing Everquest. If any of you have, you know the demand that game puts on a computer. After all, that's why I have what I have! Otherwise I'd be perfectly content with my XP1900 setup.
When I'm not on line, I usually have my computers off. I know there's been arguments both ways about leaving a computer on is better, or that leaving them on shortens life. I'm a believer of the latter, as you have heat wearing down those capacitors in the system, and fan motors wearing down. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to help out.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:24 pm

While it is intensive, it won't choke on folding... as to the heat, with proper cooling it's not an issue, and as to fan motors - most are rated 50k hours dude. That means five solid years before they die.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Peanya and Folding

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:13 pm

Peanya wrote:Ok, many have asked me to join the folding team already, so I wanted to post my answer.
Most nights, I'm playing Everquest. If any of you have, you know the demand that game puts on a computer. After all, that's why I have what I have! Otherwise I'd be perfectly content with my XP1900 setup.
When I'm not on line, I usually have my computers off. I know there's been arguments both ways about leaving a computer on is better, or that leaving them on shortens life. I'm a believer of the latter, as you have heat wearing down those capacitors in the system, and fan motors wearing down. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to help out.

if you ran your comp 24/ 7 for 3-4 years, do you think that you would not consider an upgrade in that time span?

btw, how much of an overclock do you have when you boot up a cold comp?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby miki02131 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:21 pm

Peanya, every little contribution is appreciated. Even if you fold 1 unit a month it will make a difference. Thanks for your help to come.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby DefaultDave » Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:31 pm

i can see this turing into another "leave your pc on or off" thread.

i'm like to leave my pc's on. the whole "chip creap" of the past is pretty much a distent memory at this point. the most likely thing to fail is probably your HD, not the fans.

i've actually kept my p3 400mhz on for literally YEARS. it's obviously been rebooted and what not but the longest i think it's even been turned off was for a day or so do to a power outage. none of my fans , hard drives or anything else wore out until about 2 months ago i came home to a locked up box. rebooted but nothing happend.

careful inspection of the board revealed a toated FET. this probably was the cause of leaving it on continuasly but it took just under 5 years to do this. and Lens right...i had aready gotten a new box.

btw i also thing the "everytime you turn on your pc, you take a day off it's life span" is now a misnomer as well. my feeling is that circuts are build with pretty decent reliablility.

(understand this post is just for info... on my experiances. if you want to fold Peanya, do it up... if not... then don't. i'm not trying to pull you in one direction or the other.)

i dig the screen name too! :D
DefaultDave
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby len444 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:43 pm

yeah i'm a pin head, and i'm afraid to fold. :roll: anybody is welcome to fold- it's not like you'll be jumping out of a plane to do some skydiving for the first time, or some other fear invoking incident. covetting the precious pc w/ some misguided precepts.
please, give me a break. :roll:
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:00 pm

Len. It's his choice whether or not to do things. Leave him be on that.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:29 am

Tulatin wrote:Len. It's his choice whether or not to do things. Leave him be on that.

you're absolutely right Tulatin, and he is surely free do make his own choices, and i wouldn't hold it against him. the only thing that comes to mind, is a guy makes a thread like me and folding, and why he's not going to be leaving the comp on- will any of our team members read this, and then start considering his logic, and stop folding? in a way, he's opened himself up to ridicule in the manner that he presented the issue.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:20 am

While he may have done such, it's his decision. Us users don't really have a right to ridicule him, yet we can thanks to free speech (we can say nmost anything here - to an extent). However, i'm sort of being a hypocrite here for tagging you on poking at him.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Southwind25 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 pm

At the risk of sounding opinionated ( :wink: Tulatin)here's my view point on Folding. I consider myself a member of this community. This a community effort under the Motherboards.org banner that other forums see when they check the stats. It takes very little effort, time, system resources, or expense to participate. I'm sure we all have our own different reasons for posting here. I get personal satisfaction from the occasional times that I'm able to help someone that doesn't have the resources to buy a better machine, but has the desire to learn, especially kids. I get something , therefore I'm going to give back what I can. This is the Free World, so everyone has the right to do as they see fit.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team