30 day "challenge" comes to an end

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Southwind25 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:19 pm

I've asked 3 of the top 20 posters all time on this forum in the last few days and the silence has been deafening. In fact I'm sure it pissed off one of them . Obviosly I'm not a salesman.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:11 pm

Odd... To almost every request that i have sent out, i've gotten one or two yeses (wookee) and polite declines.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Peanya » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:13 pm

Bah no input to my post about the experiment? Or was I just stating common knowledge?
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:17 pm

It's semi common knowledge dude. As to the chip - overclocking may not fair well on it, due to the memory controller. However - the cache might just help out. As to the memory bandwidth thing - athlon xps are hungry, but pentium 4 chips are worse. After all, to get 7500 3d marks on my system, my memory bandwidth has to be nearing 2 gb/s. (Single channel). What remains to be seen is how the Athlon 64 FX and P4 EE crunch.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Southwind25 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:29 pm

Peanya wrote:Bah no input to my post about the experiment? Or was I just stating common knowledge?

Probably the reason for no input is that most of the people who read in this part of the forum are already pretty well informed about the subject. I'm curious , like everyone else, about what the real world performance of the 64's will be.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Aussie » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:10 am

Bah no input to my post about the experiment? Or was I just stating common knowledge?

I didn't mean to ignore you Peanya I have been a little too busy to do any serious posting on the forums in the past weeks.

Having said that I would like to disagree with you about the Athlons benefitting most from an increase in memory bandwidth. This can be seen in the minimal benefit gained from a virtual doubling of bandwidth that the Nforce chipset gave the Athlon processor, most tests showed only a few percentage points increase in performance when running in dual channel DDR mode as compared to single channel DDR mode.

The Athlon has more than enough memory bandwidth available to it when used on an nForce board running dual channel memory, an increase in FSB does however allow it to make better use of the available memory bandwidth.

The P4 on the other hand can use all of the memory bandwidth you can give it which is precisely why Intel was attracted to Rambus memory in the first place. Now that dual channel DDR boards are available for the P4 Intel has been able to pump up the FSB even further to take advantage of the extra memory bandwidth provided by this memory architecture.

The AMD64 of course is a whole new kettle of fish and there is plenty of hype around at the moment but I can't wait to eventually get my hands on one to do my own testing.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team