AAaaaaarrrrrggghhhh

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:15 pm

Aussie, if I can manage to get linux running on a POS PC Chips boards, surely you must be capable to get it running on more decent hardware, no?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:55 am

a dedicated crunchbox means mb, vid, and lan- and at the min a /(root) and swap mount points. a 1.5- 2gig hdd is about all that is needed (.5gig to 1gig can be used w/ some attention to specific distros, and minimizing the packages installed). use the ext3 file system. 256meg system ram. choose all documentation available, as this can give information for learning. no server packages are needed. use ps/ 2 mouse and keybd.

you don't need sound, printer, or usb for a dedicated crunchbox.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:51 pm

Then you start making identical boxes to this one, and just ghost the drive.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:30 pm

Yep, but I was out of decent learning boxes with one running win2k server and one netware 6. Next in line was a p1 board which turned out to be the PC Chips, rest of them all entangled in some sort of project one way or the other...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:19 pm

i started w/ redhat, and advice from HWJ. i printed out the redhat installation guide, and w/ that in hand started figuring things out. the md5sums, and correct cd creation was a hurdle. hard drive mount points, and formatting, and deleting partitions was another. then bootloaders, and their removal. sizing partitions/ mount points, and using disk druid, fdisk, and cfdisk. looking up hardware to be certain that it would work w/ linux was encountered. i make certain now to buy only what will work w/ linux. i still consider myself a linux newbie.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team