Ok, lemme in :)

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Ok, lemme in :)

Postby charlene » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:33 am

To be honest I've no idea what it is - I visited the site and I'm none the wiser for it really. It's research and you're looking for cpu's right? I've not a clue how the 2 are linked but hey I believe it won't affect my cpu performance and it's a good cause so there's no reason for me not to join, right?

So.... do I just go to the site and download the software thingy?
charlene
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Aussie » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:06 am

You can download the graphical client from this page:-

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html

When you first run the program you will have to enter a username and team number (33258) and on the connection tab tick "use internet explorer connection settings". On the Advanced tab uncheck "logos enabled" and select "folding@home" under client type. Leave other settings as they are.

You can have folding start whenever you start your machine by placing a shortcut to it in your startup folder.

Welcome to the team.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby charlene » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:39 am

Hi Aussie, thank you, done that. What does the Internet Explorer type mean? Does it matter if I don't use internet explorer? heh.

I've got the display up and it says it's working on something: WU progress 5/500, 1%. So I assume that means I've started? And does it start work on stuff automatically? Like I don't have to select something to work on do I?

How do I put a shortcut to it on my start up folder?
charlene
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Aussie » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:22 am

What does the Internet Explorer type mean? Does it matter if I don't use internet explorer?

No it doesn't matter if you don't use Internet Explorer. :lol: That is just telling the software to use your current dialup settings so that it can connect to the internet to upload completed work and download new work.

I've got the display up and it says it's working on something: WU progress 5/500, 1%. So I assume that means I've started?

It certainly does, you are up and folding.

And does it start work on stuff automatically? Like I don't have to select something to work on do I?

No you don't, the whole thing is pretty much "hands free" from now on.

How do I put a shortcut to it on my start up folder?

There are a number of ways to do this, if you already have a shortcut on your desktop you can just drag & drop it into your startup folder by following these steps. Right-click on the start button and select "Open", double-click the "Programs" folder, double-click the "StartUp" folder, now right-click on the Folding shortcut on the desktop, drag it to the open startup folder window and drop it, click "Move Here" from the menu that pops up.

If you don't have a shortcut on your desktop you will need to create one by opening Windows Explorer and negotiating to C:\Program Files\Folding@Home or whatever the folding directory is called. In this directory locate the executable called WinFAH.exe, right-click on it and select "Send To/Desktop (create shortcut)". You can then follow the above steps to put this shortcut into the startup folder.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:27 am

If you used the retail install of 3.24, you don't need to. It'll do that itself. Welcome abord.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby charlene » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:56 am

Yeah, cool, I've already got it there cos I have 3.24 (i checked msconfig) :D
charlene
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:57 am

It actually sits in the startup folder on the start menu.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby charlene » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:05 am

lol i know that now...
charlene
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:08 am

oh. It also allows the use of these optimizations on tinker work units. By the way, you are using the client with -local -advmethods -forceasm flags right?
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:34 am

Tulatin wrote:oh. It also allows the use of these optimizations on tinker work units. By the way, you are using the client with -local -advmethods -forceasm flags right?

i don't think that the full blown graphical version needs the -local flag. i would say not to use it. -local flag is definitely needed for the multiple cpu console versions, and might be needed for the console in a single cpu config. -local flag is only relevant to windows (msft).

anyway, i think i've seen posts regarding problems using the -local flag w/ the graphical version at the fah forums. try their search engine.

also add the -verbosity 9 flag for max output (to fahlog.txt file), and help in troubleshooting.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team