Damn I've been making points like mad past couple days, why?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:28 pm

It's a classic I believe... It's a Slot A one, I think that's what they're called..
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:58 pm

the classic is supposed to have a bigger on die cache, which shows faster crunching rates w/ seti, so it might be applicable here as well. how long does it take to crunch wu's? how's stability? one thing that you should specify under advanced config, is pref for fah wu's, 100% cpu, and low priority.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:59 pm

Stability is awesome, at least with the FAH client. (The Slave.exe that I am running on it from Remote-Anything crashes occasionally when I'm accessing the computer from this one, but nothing else slows down). It is rather slow though, taking like I don't know how long to finish 1 wu--24 hours-36hours? Nothing bragable, but it runs coolly and is very stable. I actually already set those exact settings on it hehe.
Oh--and is running the graphical client faster/slower/indifferent to running the console client (in service mode)?
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:47 pm

gamepyrate wrote:Stability is awesome, at least with the FAH client. (The Slave.exe that I am running on it from Remote-Anything crashes occasionally when I'm accessing the computer from this one, but nothing else slows down). It is rather slow though, taking like I don't know how long to finish 1 wu--24 hours-36hours? Nothing bragable, but it runs coolly and is very stable. I actually already set those exact settings on it hehe.
Oh--and is running the graphical client faster/slower/indifferent to running the console client (in service mode)?

supposedly, the graphical, and console use the same exact engine, and if the graphical is run in the background, it would be no different than the console. this is what they say at fah forums. i did find the console behaved better in some ways- ie. config was easier w/ the console, and full screen mode w/ the graphical caused the system to crash. i'd prefer the console myself. the graphical needs to be installed into the registry, whereas the console can be placed in a folder on the desktop, shortcut created, and flags added to the target, applied, and started by double clicking the shortcut. in this config, the console won't start right up when entering the desktop, but a mod could be performed to make it happen (not sure of the specifics). i suppose the console could be run as a service, which will have it run prior to logging into the desktop. this could be handy for absolute performance (like reboot after power is resumed, and crunching wil resume w/ o intervention. i was told that the graphical could be initially installed, and the 3.25beta console, or graphical executable could be installed (either/ or interchangable) in the FAH directory/ folder under programs (my comp-> prog's-> FAH directory).

so the service mode trick as per steve6787!?! i think that this is dependant on msconfig, which might mean that it is dependant on the graphical client being installed. i suppose either the 3.25beta graphical client, or console versions could be used via a renaming process (named the same as the 3.24 graphical in a substitution of the executable procedure in FAH direcory)- at least this is what i have been told.

as far as running remote access program, ultravnc is the best for windows comps. it'll allow file transfers as well. remote access, and perform maintenance on the comp w/ o being physically at the machine. of course this requires that you have ethernet cards in the comps, and a central hub/ or switch.

again, you should seriously consider getting behind a firewall. do you have cable broadband, that is through a gateway, and ethernet via cat5/ rj45 plugs? or is there a cable modem in a pci slot?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:13 pm

you should seriously consider getting behind a firewall. do you have cable broadband, that is through a gateway, and ethernet via cat5/ rj45 plugs? or is there a cable modem in a pci slot?

I run ADSL and I do have a Linksys BEFSR11 (or something) router/firewall, hooked up to a 5-port D-Link Switch. I do however leave at least one computer on the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ area) so that WAN computers may connect directly to it, and on that computer (which is currently the XP2400+ because my Dell is down) I have Windows' firewall blocking all ports but through port 80, which is the port to my remote access program. I will definitely look into this ultra VNC program though, thank you much.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:10 pm

gamepyrate wrote:
you should seriously consider getting behind a firewall. do you have cable broadband, that is through a gateway, and ethernet via cat5/ rj45 plugs? or is there a cable modem in a pci slot?

I run ADSL and I do have a Linksys BEFSR11 (or something) router/firewall, hooked up to a 5-port D-Link Switch. I do however leave at least one computer on the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ area) so that WAN computers may connect directly to it, and on that computer (which is currently the XP2400+ because my Dell is down) I have Windows' firewall blocking all ports but through port 80, which is the port to my remote access program. I will definitely look into this ultra VNC program though, thank you much.

i think that ultravnc will use port 5600 (or ther abouts), and should use ssh, esp if you're using it to access a comp on the demilitarized zone. ultravnc by itself is not secure, so it can potentially represent a security hazard.

out of curiosity, what are you running off of your WAN (if you don't mind me asking)?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:24 pm

I have friends' computers connect to mine so that I can check up on their comps and do whatever whenever they've got problems... using Remote-Anything slaves connecting to the directory server computer at my house. I hope to have a webserver eventually, if my Dell ever works again (I just have been too lazy to work on it hehe)
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:12 pm

gamepyrate wrote:I have friends' computers connect to mine so that I can check up on their comps and do whatever whenever they've got problems... using Remote-Anything slaves connecting to the directory server computer at my house. I hope to have a webserver eventually, if my Dell ever works again (I just have been too lazy to work on it hehe)

is this the same comp that had ~70 viruses on it?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:38 am

Oh yeah. Hehehe I've "repaired" it with Windows XP cd three times now. It works for a while, but I can't install Norton AV or get anything running right. I got most of the viruses deactivated from loading at startup but not all. Now it doesn't turn on though, just goes to a blank screen after I select WinXP on my boot menu, bunch of doody. I think I also ruined my Linux install because I turned it off in the middle of doing stuff. I'm going ot have to format it, after I put it in my XP2400+ and transfer info. off it and write zeroes to it. Then it'll be as good as new :) But unfortunately it'll take me like a week to have the time to do that.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby useless comment » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:27 pm

gamepyrate wrote:Well sodsm live, here is my full system specs:
Shuttle AK37GT/R KT400 board
Athlon XP 2400+
256mb of Kingmax RAM, 256mb of I can't remember, like Tiny or something RAM.
GeForce1 w/ 32mb SDR
Two 80gig 8mb cache WD's on RAID
One Quantum 40gig 2mb cache
That's about it I guess.

Thanks for posting it. I guess the similarities end in the short list:
Epox 8k9ai kt400
xp 2400 non-oc
512mb crucial 3200 @333
ati 8500dv
60gb 133/7200/2mb :(
suse8.2/98se

keep up the good job you're doing for folding